The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Leoville Poyferre 1982 - 2000

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Leoville Poyferre 1982 - 2000

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:20 am

Notes from a vertical tasting dinner of Leoville Poyferre held by the Commanderie de Bordeaux at the Terminal City Club, Vancouver BC.

With some reception nibblies of Emmenthal gougeres with crème fraiches and caviar, and iced Kumamoto oysters with sauternes jelly:

1999 Nicolas Feuillate Brut – decent toasty nose, the wine showing a bit on the acidic side on the roof of the mouth, good persistence and some mature notes in the finish.

With a crispy shallot and prawn risotto with pea shoot salad:

2001 Ch. Carbonnieux blanc – toasty oak nose, soft supple wine a tad low in acidity. No rush. Decent with the excellent food.

Main event – Leoville Poyferre vintages served youngest to oldest with three courses.

With roast duck and foie gras terrine:

2000 – a dark rather monolithic wine with great stuffing and extraction of flavours and a slight nuance of mint in the otherwise fruit driven nose. Ends with dry tannins. This should be very nice – one day, about a decade hence.

1998 – lighter than the 2000, with a marked black currant nose, already a supple harmonious wine that is now ready for drinking and should have a decent life ahead of it.

1996 – medium dark wine with a nice slightly smoky plumy nose, good structure excellent length and a nice shot of juicy acidity near the end. Will have a long life but can be enjoyed from now.

With roast loin of milk fed veal and a porcini mushroom and truffle brioche:

1995 – lovely sweet currant and cedar nose, really juicy and tasty in the mouth, sweet with good concentration, a very pleasurable wine.

1990 – the nose on this wine was absolutely flat when opened and took an inordinate time to start showing much at all. It seemed a bit muddled on palate as well but eventually pulled together and showed decent fruit and finish. A disappointment that I am hoping is unusual as I have yet to broach my stash of this wine.

1989 – some spice in the nose, and cherries, tannins still apparent, but decent fruit, though it ended a bit abruptly. Although more time might improve the wine, it also might not. On balance I’d opt for drinking sooner rather than later, as in more modest company than these other wines it would offer pleasure.

With grilled bison tenderloin with a pulled pork and potato croquette:

1986 – very good colour, a nice nose with more cherry and spice, the wine now (finally!) mellow on palate with good balance and length. My only criticism was a slight dilute impression in midpalate, but otherwise it drank fairly well.

1983 – a very nice mature nose of more plum than currant, and some cedar again, as well as vanilla, perhaps a tad ripe. Good weight, a pleasant wine with smooth sweet presence in the mouth. A good 1983. Drink up.

1982 – a nose that was almost Rhonish, in that t was slightly warm and a slight bit medicinal. Great concentration and weight, a wine to be drunk with pleasure and it should hold well, so no rush.

To finish:

1996 Ch. Guiraud – medium golden colour (is it me, or are the young vintages taking on more colour at an earlier age that I recall the wines of the 70s and 80s doing?). A nose of orange marmalade, not too sweet in the mouth, and a nice long finish. A good one.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: WTN: Leoville Poyferre 1982 - 2000

by Matt Richman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:59 pm

I've had the 1990 a few times. It has always been spectacular. You are lucky to own them, I have one last bottle (out of 3). It is drinking well, but unlike some 1990s I believe it has a long life ahead of it. It was my WOTN at a 1990 Bordeaux horizontal, beating out wines like Lynch, Trotanoy, Cos, Leoville Barton. It was also my WOTN at a Poyferre vs Barton vertical, beating out both wines in 82, 83, 89, 95, 96.

I've found the 1996 to be an awkward wine both of the times I tried it. I'm hoping that it comes together, perhaps that is happening now.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:41 pm

As I suspected, my lone bottle of the 2000 will lay in a deep, dark corner of my cellar for a good 10+ years.

Too bad you didn't have the '85. That's my favorite older vintage of Poyferre.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:47 pm

David, I've found that the 1985 is getting a bit long in the tooth, definitely on the way down, not on plateau any more. Still enjoyable I expect. Haven't tasted one for about 4 years.

I like quite a few 1985s - too bad I bought so few!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Matt Richman wrote:I've had the 1990 a few times. It has always been spectacular. You are lucky to own them, I have one last bottle (out of 3). It is drinking well, but unlike some 1990s I believe it has a long life ahead of it. It was my WOTN at a 1990 Bordeaux horizontal, beating out wines like Lynch, Trotanoy, Cos, Leoville Barton. It was also my WOTN at a Poyferre vs Barton vertical, beating out both wines in 82, 83, 89, 95, 96..

I'm with Matt on the '90, always been a fave. I was at the '90 horizontal with Matt, it was near top for me (but edged by Conseillante). It was my WOTN at the Barton/Poyferre showdown.

I've liked the '82 and '83, not so wild about 85-89 Poyferres.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:06 pm

1990 Conseillante is fantastic, Dale you are right. I gave the two identical scores but chose the LP as my favorite that night. Obviously it was neck and neck for me too. Not sure how I decided.

I think the 1989 Poyferre is very very good bordering on excellent.

I've never tried the 1985, but as a 1985 fan I think I should!
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:38 pm

I had the 85 L Poyferre with Dale (and Jon who visited from Maryland). Not my cup of a good mature Bordeaux, either.
Ramon Cabrera