The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two very good Viennese whites from 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Two very good Viennese whites from 2007

by Saina » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:01 pm

• 2007 Wieninger Grüner Veltliner Herrenholz - Austria, Wien (6/13/2009)
    14%; screwcap; label. Light, greenish-gold. The scent is a bit woolly at first but it seems like a very true Grüner with its green (but definitely not under ripe) fruit aromas. Mineral, steely and citrussy. Full body but crisp, citrussy, and mineral. Well balanced and long. Very nice.
  • 2007 Wieninger Alte Reben Gemischter Satz Nußberg - Austria, Wien (6/14/2009)
    14% abv; label; and back label for those who read German. This is a field blend (of, I think, Weissburgunder, Neuburger, Welschriesling, Grüner Veltliner, Sylvaner, Zierfandler, Traminer and Riesling) from old vines of about 40 years' age grown on a very steep limestone vineyard in Vienna. Nussberg is one Vienna's most famous vineyards. Wieninger had had a dream of making wine from this spot for a long time when in 1999 he managed to procure a 4ha parcel.

This blend has a much more perfumed scent than the Herrenholz GV I was drinking alongside, yet it has the GV's attractive steeliness and minerality. It smells of red and white flowers, honey, Turkish delight, citrus and minerals. The scent leads me to expect a soft, full bodied wine with some sweetness to it, but it is actually quite crisp and dry without the sweetness of sugar, just the ripeness of fruit. I would even say it is racy, steely, mineral and seems like a much more elegant, compact wine than expected from the scent, the high abv and the mix of grapes. Extremely enjoyable!
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

Re: WTN: Two very good Viennese whites from 2007

by Michael Pronay » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:00 am

Fritz Wieninger, without any doubt, is THE top producer in Vienna; Nussberg is THE top vineyard site in Vienna.

If you happen to find Fritz' Grüner Veltliner Kaasgraben, give it a try. It's his most interesting GV, imho.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:14 am

When I first read the title of this thread I broke out into a cold sweat thinking you were talking about Vietnamese whites. About a year ago I attended a tasting of white wines being made now in Cambodia and Vietnam. Tasted in all 12 wines, all made from internationally known grapes (e.g. Chardonnay, Viognier and Pinot Grigio) and the twelve were so horrid that it was a chore getting past the aromas. As to aromas and flavors - cat's pee on a gooseberry busy is mild - more like a combniation of camel dung, and a garbage can that has gone uncleaned for two months.

Vienna, no problem, especially when visiting local Heuriger. Vietnam - not yet Josephine, not yet!!!

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:35 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:...As to aromas and flavors - cat's pee on a gooseberry busy is mild - more like a combination of camel dung, and a garbage can that has gone uncleaned for two months...
It just might be the terroir - hints of naphalm, agent orange, corroding brass shell casings, etc. :?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Michael Pronay wrote:Fritz Wieninger, without any doubt, is THE top producer in Vienna; Nussberg is THE top vineyard site in Vienna.

If you happen to find Fritz' Grüner Veltliner Kaasgraben, give it a try. It's his most interesting GV, imho.

Thanks Michael, I looked on the importer's web site and it doesn't seem as if the Kaasgraben is imported at all. :(

Rogov, gladly not Vietnam. I have tried some wines from tropical climes and I feel that for the most part wine is best left in cooler areas.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:07 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Daniel Rogov wrote:...As to aromas and flavors - cat's pee on a gooseberry busy is mild - more like a combination of camel dung, and a garbage can that has gone uncleaned for two months...
It just might be the terroir - hints of naphalm, agent orange, corroding brass shell casings, etc. :?

... and in the case of Cambodia, much, much worse. :cry:

Mark Lipton