The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2 from Clos du Tue-Boeuf

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 2 from Clos du Tue-Boeuf

by geo t. » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:06 am

These two Loire reds aren't very fashionable, but they ARE very good.

2007 Clos du Tue-Boeuf Cheverny, 11% alc.: Slightly cloudy ruby color, with an earthy Gamay nose (although this is actually blended with Pinot Noir) reminiscent of cherry, pomegranate and fennel seed, the latter element really setting the tone for the wine's character. The perfumed aromatics are beautiful, following through most expressively on the palate. Medium bodied, with fine balance, good acidity, moderate tannins and nice length. I can imagine many an international palate that wouldn't care for this wine, but I was knocked out by it. One taster remarked that it is "a feminine wine with a beard."

This next wine was still fermenting when the Cheverny appellation committee met to evaluate 2006 Cheverny, so the terms in parentheses were not allowed to be listed on the label.

(2006) Vin deTable Francais (Cheverny) (Clos du) Tue-Boeuf Rouillon, 13% alc.: Clean garnet color, pretty raspberry and cherry flavors and aromas shaded with some subtle herb. Rich and fairly ripe, without going over the top, this is a bigger wine with more depth than the previous wine. Structured for at least a few years in the cellar, and maybe as many as 5 or more. Another lovely Gamay-Pinot Noir blend, and I'd like to get to know both of these a lot better.

- from Building a better Wine List: Part 1

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: 2 from Clos du Tue-Boeuf

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:31 am

geo t. wrote:These two Loire reds aren't very fashionable, but they ARE very good..

It depends whose fashion you are talking about. Among the 'hipster' wine contingent they are indeed very fashionable, if from the earlier generation of said winemakers and therefore not the most cutting-edge. But all the better for it in my view!