The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Verdelho, Tower, Trefethan, Chard, and Breton

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Verdelho, Tower, Trefethan, Chard, and Breton

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:00 am

Quite a diverse range of wines over the last few days.

Forlorn Hope "Que Saudade" Amador Verdelho 2007.
http://www.forlornhopewines.com/que.htm

This was a lovely surprise. The bottle (alas only one) was kinda hanging around on one of the hidden shelves at WineStyles, so we opened it. Matthew Rorick is the winemaker for Elizabeth-Spencer, a negotiant winery centered in Napa Valley, and these are his off-beat side project wines. Anyway...it may seem an odd way to describe this wine, but I would nonetheless describe it as a combination of the best elements of sauvignon blanc (crispness, bright acid, grass and citrus notes) and a lightly oaked but flavorful Chardonnay (lemon curd, just a hint of vanilla). delicious, and we finished the bottle! 91 points, Bravo! Read the website. I am a sucker for literary pretentiousness! :mrgreen: :oops:

2005 DiArie "Southern Exposure" Zinfandel. I'm posting another tating note because this bottle, while still quite delicious, was much spicier and bolder than the last one. Instead of black pepper and earth, we got soft red spice and more berry fruit. Quite nice!

2001 Tower Estate Hunter Valley Shiraz. Black pepper, bright cherry fruit (do they acidify their wines here? Still nice) and quite a bit of almost French funk/brett. 92 points. Barbecue wine!

2004 Trefethan Oak Knoll Estate Cabernet Napa Valley. I am really enjoying this estate. Only complaint would be that the fruit is a little bit "candied," but there are quite nice layers of herbs, savory notes, earth to complement the fruit. Interesting to see the tannic structure. I would not say the wine was "shutting down" per se, but the tannins did become more apparant in the last glass. 90 points.

2006 Catherine et Pierre Breton "Saint Louan" Chinon(Loire Cab Franc).
New vineyard, I understand, for the Bretons. This may be my favorite Loire Cab Franc house! It complemented the amazingly tender pork roast from Napa's Fatted Calf charcutterie. Very dark garnet color-almost black with ruby highlights. Light mouth feel but not thin in any way...very elegant, instead. Typical sour plum Loire Cab Franc, but no real bell pepper notes. Instead, this was extremely smooth and earthy. I almost got a pleasant bitter note that I first described as leather. Very,very mineral-almost ferrous. Maybe it's this ferrous minerality, not the leather, I am tasting? No real tannins, I am guess this (or at least this vintage) is a drink now wine? Quite nice wine, I will buy again some time!

2007 Elizabeth Spencer Napa Valley Chardonnay. No Malo, no real oak...but the blazing minerality and fruit flavors do not need the oak. This was as mineral as what I imagine a good Chablis would be like. I'm not sure what the vineyard source was. Delicious-and $26. Matthew Rorick really has a good handle on elegance in white wines!

2005 Elizabeth Spencer Napa ValleyCabernet Franc. The bell pepper is certainly present here, but somehow it complements the fruit and adds a nice, refreshing blast of juicyness. Sadly, it is more expensive than the Breton, but still a very fine effort.
Last edited by Brian K Miller on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: Verdelho, Tower, Trefethan, Chard, and Breton

by Brian Gilp » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:50 am

The Trefethen Reserve Cab use to be my house Cab when I could get the 1995 for $15/btl. Unfortunately, that price is not to be found anymore and I just have a hard time purchasing it today. The local wine shop owner remembered my past fondness for this wine and got some magnums that he has been stuck with for quite some time since I don't want them. That wine does not seem to move around these parts.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:21 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:The Trefethen Reserve Cab use to be my house Cab when I could get the 1995 for $15/btl. Unfortunately, that price is not to be found anymore and I just have a hard time purchasing it today. The local wine shop owner remembered my past fondness for this wine and got some magnums that he has been stuck with for quite some time since I don't want them. That wine does not seem to move around these parts.

well...it does not taste like Blueberry oak smoothie, so it won't move very quickly :lol:

I can't really afford it anymore either. I especially can't afford their hillside "Halo" bottling which is almost worth the price ($100+) A friend purchased this bottle, which is the regular label not the reserve, during a charity event and it was his contribution to the table!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:43 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
2006 Catherine et Pierre Breton "Saint Louan" Bourgueil (Loire Cab Franc).
New vineyard, I understand, for the Bretons. This may be my favorite Loire Cab Franc house! It complemented the amazingly tender pork roast from Napa's Fatted Calf charcutterie. Very dark garnet color-almost black with ruby highlights. Light mouth feel but not thin in any way...very elegant, instead. Typical sour plum Loire Cab Franc, but no real bell pepper notes. Instead, this was extremely smooth and earthy. I almost got a pleasant bitter note that I first described as leather. Very,very mineral-almost ferrous. Maybe it's this ferrous minerality, not the leather, I am tasting? No real tannins, I am guess this (or at least this vintage) is a drink now wine? Quite nice wine, I will buy again some time!

Brian, are you sure that this is Bourgueil not Chinon? The estate's website seems to show "Saint-Louand" as a Chinon http://www.domainebreton.net/web/190-le ... ouand.html .

That said, it sounds very much my sort of wine and I can't tell the difference between Bourgueil and Chinon anyway. The Breton portfolio might be a way to get a handle on it because they are one of the few to do both, so differences are purely terroir uncluttered by matters of producer style.

For some reason, they don't appear to have an importer here.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:54 pm

oops. Thanks, Tim. :oops: When I tasted through the lineup at Terroir SF Wine Bar, there was quite a mixture of Bourgs and Chinons, so I was confused. :(

Interestingly enough, the St. Louan was not even on the Breton's website a few months ago. :shock:
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Interestingly enough, the St. Louan was not even on the Breton's website a few months ago. :shock:

It still isn't in the English language version. That's why I gave the link in French.
Tim York