The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Budget wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Budget wines

by Florida Jim » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:32 am

Whites:

2008 Carpineto, Dodajolo Blanc:
12.5% alcohol; 40% chardonnay, 30% grechetto, 30% sauvignon blanc; fresh and citrusy on the nose with a hint of chardonnay richness; bright, concentrated and not quite of a piece in the mouth with a tart note, good balance and a mouth-watering finish. Integrates with air and becomes smoother. Matches pasta with pesto as well as any wine could. About $10.

2007 Quinta de Ventozelo, Cister de Ribeira:
A white from the Douro made of almost equal parts códega, gouveio, viosinho and rabigato, 13% alcohol; almost clear in color; citrus and limestone aromas; very crisp and a touch bitter in the mouth with bright, precise flavors, good concentration and intensity, excellent balance and a finish that leaves me feeling like I just took a shower. Diane made an asparagus, quinoa, fresh tomato dish and this went with it quite well. A quintessential refresher wine for summer that is better than you bargain for. Buy it by the case. About $8.

2006 Colonial Estate, Semillon Reserve Expatrié:
Well fruited nose with hints of stone and no musk tones; over-ripe but not sugary, pineapple flavors, no musk, solid acidity and nice balance; excellent length. I usually find too much musk in semillon vinted by itself and rarely buy it, but I tasted this in a store and was pleasantly surprised. ‘Bought a bottle to have with a dish of pasta, zucchini and basil in a parmesan cream sauce and found it delicious and a good match. 13.5% alcohol and about $15.

Reds:

2007 Obvio, Malbec:
Some varietal character, nicely fragrant; solid flavors without any cloying sweetness, a touch of rusticity in the mouth and the overall impression of a wine one step up from a quaffer. 13.5% alcohol and tasty with an assortment of cheese and toasted bread. About $10.

2007 Bodega la Rural, Malbec La Vuelta:
Candied, no varietal character, little apparent structure; a sort of generic processed wine-food. ‘Couldn’t get through a single glass. 13% alcohol and about $8.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Budget wines

by Salil » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks for those notes Jim. That white Douro sounds really lovely; I'll have to keep my eyes open for that. Always glad to see recommendations in this price range.

I'm a bit surprised by your comment on finding musky elements in so many Semillons - that's a flavour element I've never come across yet in that grape (although I normally tend to drink Semillon only from the Hunter Valley, where it's picked really early with more lime/green apple flavours and a lot of acid).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Budget wines

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:54 pm

I echo Salil, nice wine post there on the white Douro Jim! I am hooked on wines like this but have to pay a lot more up here (like double your price).