The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 BV GdlT, 2003 "Kelly Fleming"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2004 BV GdlT, 2003 "Kelly Fleming"

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:57 am

Wine Styles Beau's Blues Monday.

2004 BV Georges de la Tour Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley. Very dark fruit, with a dry roasted character, plenty of earthyness, dark high toast oak without tasting oaky. Tannins are pretty savage right now, and there is quite a bit of acid for a 2004. I think this wine will be an ager, but I liked the 2005 better at the same stage. This wine overall is a little discombulated and needs some time to come together. 91 points, reflecting potential. I do like me my BV! :)

2003 Kelly Fleming Napa Valley. I foolishly thought this was Peggy Fleming's wine...but I was totally wrong. :mrgreen: This Cabernet has more red fruit than the BV, with red currant flavors; the fruit is actually pretty nice, avoiding overextraction and candied character. Oak is reasonable and not obtrusive. Alcohol shows (14.4%) but the wine is not painfully hot. What really stood out is the acidity and structure-this is a nicely firm young cabernet that, while certainly drinkable now, could merit further cellaring. 89 points. http://www.kellyflemingwines.com/wine_2003.html
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2004 BV GdlT, 2003 "Kelly Fleming"

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:30 am

I like that the BV has never seen a dramatic style change. I hope it never does.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2004 BV GdlT, 2003 "Kelly Fleming"

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I like that the BV has never seen a dramatic style change. I hope it never does.

That's exactly right. I even said to a friend last night that "Boy, they are not making this for the more typical current day fruit loving Cali Cab drinker, are they?) (Not that there is anything WRONG with a fruit-forward Cali wine :mrgreen: )
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach