The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 J&G Lafouge Auxey-Duresses Blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

WTN: 2007 J&G Lafouge Auxey-Duresses Blanc

by David Z » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:45 am

2007 J&G Lafouge Auxey-Duresses "Les Boutonnieres" Blanc: I generally like Lafouge's Auxey reds, but this is disappointing. Light, relatively inoffensive, even the light oak treatment dominates here because of the neutrality of the wine. This has some minerality and snap to it, and its not flabby, but to my palate it falls b/w the two stools: riper chardonnay fruit flavor or stony Chablis intensity. At this price ($28ish at Chambers), you can get top-producer village Chablis that's loads better (and might leave a $5er in your pocket). I don't have a ton of experience with Cote d'Or whites: after a run of infuriating premox incidents a couple of years back, I stopped buying them. Maybe this wine was just a bad apple.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2007 J&G Lafouge Auxey-Duresses Blanc

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:05 am

Never had this bottling, but have had the "Les Hauts" in earlier vintages. Always found it ok, but nothing special. Unlike the reds, especially the La Chapelle, which I find a very good bargain in almost every vintage.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: WTN: 2007 J&G Lafouge Auxey-Duresses Blanc

by David Z » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:31 pm

I revisted this today, 6 days after it was first opened and 4 days since I last had a glass (and poured the rest into a 375 and put it under inert gas).

Wow, what a difference. This totally came alive, and is rocking out a nice chardonnay lemon drop thing. Sweet & salty, this put on so much "weight" that its hard to believe its the same wine. Musta been some reduction holding this back last week- this is much better now.