The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Freemark Abbey Rutherford Merlot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Freemark Abbey Rutherford Merlot

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:07 am

2004. Blended with Cab and Petit Verdot

I'm not a big fan of California merlot, to be honest. Usually they seem nondescript-and some define processed "spoof" wine. :? The Cartlidge & Brown Merlot I had the other night was the vinous equivalent of Velveeta, and I had a similar bad instant reaction to it. :(

This was actually pretty nice, though. Definitely dark plummy fruit with a hint of dustyness. Some vegetal notes popping in and out which did not detract from the wine but added a nice degree of "quirkyness." Mouthfeel was very plush and elegant-not really the tannic structure for aging, but the plushness is such that I quite enjoyed the wine. Solid 88 points!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Freemark Abbey Rutherford Merlot

by Jenise » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:44 am

This is now a Jess Jackson winery,isn't it. Do you think he's leaving them alone to make wine in what has been the FA style for a lot of years now?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:01 am

Jenise wrote:This is now a Jess Jackson winery,isn't it. Do you think he's leaving them alone to make wine in what has been the FA style for a lot of years now?

I hope so. It is still the same winemaker.

My uneducated opinion/observation is that Jess jackson does just that...leaves his trophy properties alone. Or else invests in them so they get better. Some of my favorite wines have actually been Jess Jackson wines-Verite, Cardinale, Matanzas Creek...heck even the Central Coast Pinots made by his wife are good! :mrgreen: I have one bottle of Trace Ridge cab in off-site storage. Almost brought it home this weekend when I did a severe cellar cull.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

Re: WTN: Freemark Abbey Rutherford Merlot and now Cab

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:05 am

i will also post a brief note on the 2004 Napa Valley Cabernet (not the single vineyard bottlings-a blend of Rutherford fruit):

This is a surprisingly fresh 2004-especially for a "larger" production, "inexpensive" bottling. Delicious notes of herbs and a hint...just a hint....of bell pepper, but the lovely Rutherford dust black fruit comes through to the fore. Already very drinkable-we all slurped this baby down! Just an elegant, balanced, light on its feet California cabernet that is a pleasure to drink.

90 points+
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:23 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:My uneducated opinion/observation is that Jess jackson does just that...leaves his trophy properties alone. Or else invests in them so they get better.

That's kind of the impression I've had, too, but I didn't know if I had fallen for the hype or what since I can't recall why I thought so. And of course I'm guilty of wanting, in the case of Freemark Abbey, nothing to change since I've always liked this winery. Can't say I think the Matanzas Creek brand has held up, though. The merlot used to be extraordinary.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:13 pm

Jenise wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:My uneducated opinion/observation is that Jess jackson does just that...leaves his trophy properties alone. Or else invests in them so they get better.

That's kind of the impression I've had, too, but I didn't know if I had fallen for the hype or what since I can't recall why I thought so. And of course I'm guilty of wanting, in the case of Freemark Abbey, nothing to change since I've always liked this winery. Can't say I think the Matanzas Creek brand has held up, though. The merlot used to be extraordinary.

Hmmm. I might have missed it at its peak, but I really liked the ...2001...I think Matanzas reserve (estate) Merlot. Unless it's declined since then? I will have to revisit-it is a beautiful estate.

I'm still liking the current release of F-A wines, at least. I loved their Viognier-and this is not a grape I am particularly fond of! even the Sauvignon Blanc is better than average-it sees a whisper of oak.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:20 pm

Jenise wrote:

How long you talking, Jenise? I used to love Matanzas Creek Sauvignon Blanc, but that was back in the '80s when Merry Edwards was making them. :wink:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:40 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
How long you talking, Jenise? I used to love Matanzas Creek Sauvignon Blanc, but that was back in the '80s when Merry Edwards was making them. :wink:

Mark Lipton

Ditto, and I liked the chardonnay as well. All that experience was early 90's though. Then maybe 2-3 years ago I bought both the merlot and SB when they showed up at my local Costco--not the same animals at all. The SB wasn't bad, but it wasn't special, and the merlot was light bodied and all red fruit. Tasty enough, but almost pinotish and barely a shadow of it's former self.