The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: June Drinking Report

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: June Drinking Report

by David Lole » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:47 am

Been a very long, very arduous but mainly very good couple of weeks here, although I’m suffering very badly from a heavy head cold at the moment.

Attended the Merimbula Jazz Festival over the long weekend, taking extra days either side attempting to make it a more relaxing time away. All concerned seemed to have a very good time. Got to play in several bands and did some extended restaurant gigs with one of the legends of the jazz world, which was a real thrill. My daughter sang very well. Seeing and hearing our family band back on mini-disc, you are jolted with the harsh realities of your own shortcomings.

Drank many, many bottles over the past two weeks but always with a lot of people, so it probably wasn’t quite as bad, quantatively, as it looks.

From memory only -

Petaluma Hanlin Hill Riesling 2005 - excellent - still fresh and youthful with a full-flavoured, fleshy palate buttressed by excellent minerality - 90

Cape Mentelle Chardonnay 2007 - outstanding - tight, focused, linear, long with good cellaring prospects - 92 (S/C)

Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 1998 - very sound, still a little on the young side - predominantly leafy blackcurrants and cedar - 91

Produttori del Barbaresco Riserva Rio Sordo 1997 - excellent - savoury although a tad feral - mainly cherries and old leather - 89

Dominique Laurent Serie Rare Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru Les Chaumes 1996 - excellent savoury/sappy perfume but somewhat angular with excessive acidity and grip on the palate - just very good - time may help - 85

Henschke Mount Edelstone Shiraz 1998 - disgraceful - overbearing dimethyl sulphide and brettanomyces - undrinkable - 50

Bailey’s Founder Muscat (current release) - moorish and raisaned with lots of Christmas cake complexity. Good age for a moderately-priced liqueur muscat - excellent - 90

Mesh Riesling 2005 - went ballistic over this some weeks ago (97). This bottle was drunk on the spot and wasn’t given the time and air my initial bottle got. Nowhere as impressed - 91 at best. Has the potential but judging and pointing in context is the issue here. (S/C)

Cape Mentelle Chardonnay 2006 - still looks the goods on the bouquet but without food this looked far too astringent on the palate for my liking. With food (Cantonese spicy seafood combo in batter) looked terrific - 86/92 (S/C)

Richmond Grove Barossa Riesling 1998 - strong yellow gold colour - mix of diesel and vibrant lime/toasty fruit - still has a very good core of slightly phenolic minerally acidity, so it may keep keeping on for some years yet - 88

Houghton’s Liqueur Tokay (1 pint 6 fluid ounces on label) - ancient rancio and cold tea mixed with honey, nuts and some oxidative characters - a nice old drink but, somehow, I think this may have been left untouched just a trifle too long - 85

Domaine D’Ambinos 2e Trie Coteaux du Layon Beaulieu 1989 - remarkable - a vibrant, extremely classy medium-sweet chenin blanc of wonderful dimensions and still most youthful exuberance. Difficult to fault - 95 points with a long drinking window ahead.

Domaine D’Ambinos Clos des Mulonnierres Coteaux du Layon Beaulieu 1982 - read ditto to the above but without as much residual sugar but similar exceedingly good acidity. Beautiful example of complex demi-sec chenin blanc - will go for some years yet - 93

Mount Mary Chardonnay 2005 - brilliant wine - just too young - tight as a fish’s, terrific line and length, superb construction - almost perfect balance - leave for 3-5 years - potential of 95 points - exceptional promise (diam)

Seppelt Dorrien Cabernet Sauvignon 1996 - looked terrific - youthful, lush, full of leafy blackberry fruit, cedary oak, still fresh but full and with a twist of bitter chocolate in a long and satisfying finish - 93

Seppelt Dorrien Cabernet Sauvignon 1998 - similarly impressive but one notch down from its elder sibling - medium-bodied classic Barossa cabernet - 92

Houghton’s Jack Mann 1995 - forgot the blend here - believe it to be cabernet, shiraz and malbec - this is just starting to hit its straps - plush and decadently fruited with a wealth of gorgeously-meshed blackberry, plum and blackcurrant fruit that has all but swallowed up the savoury/malty background oak. Seamless but of full body, seriously good robust tannins slowly melting and assimilating into, what will be, a magnificent conclusion - 95 - otherworldly

Seppelt Great Western Shiraz 1995 - Ian McKenzie always held high regard for this wine and now I can see why - typical dense creamy old-vine material redolent with blackberry and mulberry and well-judged savoury oak - top wine - 92

Katnook Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 1996 - typically weedy blackcurrants with supporting cedary oak - perhaps a tad too leafy for me on this occasion but otherwise very good/excellent - 88

Ch. Haut-Bages-Liberal (Pauilliac) 1986 - a very impressive effort from this left bank Chateau from this vintage - complex mix of wet earth, currants, lead pencil and plums with excellent acid/oak integration/balance and terrific length - still has many years fine drinking ahead of it - 92

Domaine Paul Jaboulet Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert 1999 - a solid wine although marred by a small brett input - otherwise somewhat savoury and earthy, nicely fruited and a “drink now up to 5 years” proposition - 87

Hermann Donnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Riesling Spatlese 1998 - absolutely brilliant showing of this label on this occasion - perhaps the best bottle I’ve opened thus far - very youthful straw/lime colour -compact yet somehow incredibly effusive - gorgeous lime and under-ripe stone fruits with a gently sweet personality, lithe minerally acidity - dances across the palate with the dexterity of Gene Kelly - finishes with the grace of Audrey Hepburn. 94 on its ear. Still got plenty of juice in the tank and I thought it may have peaked - fool!

Zilliken Saarburger-Rausch Riesling Spatlese 1996 - deeper colour than the Donnhoff - lemon/green gold - diesel/redcurrants/lemon custard/nectarine bouquet and palate - broader/fatter style with more weight and punch - a tad phenolic but plenty of acid for longer keeping - very darn good but not a patch on Hermann above - 88

Domaine Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling Vendange Tardive 1990 - monumentally good late-picked Alsace riesling right in the groove - apple curd, ripe stone fruits, citrus rind, spicy apricots all wrapped in a shroud of profoundly-good minerality - delivers a sensational performance in the mouth with awesome structure and simply amazing delineation - 96
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: June Drinking Report

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 am

I have read so much about Mount Mary on the AusForum. Lucky you, Dave. Hopefully at the end of this year, this wine will be close to WOTY!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:42 am

But David - Donnhoff's wines don't age! :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Awesome lineup David, good to see you around here again. Really glad to see a note on an older Kirschheck - that is one of my favourite Spatlese from Donnhoff, but I have the habit of breaking into all my Kirschhecks incredibly early (usually within weeks of getting them in my hands :D) and emptying them.

Nice to see notes as usual on some of those Aussie classics; I'm quite envious of anyone with 1998 Wynn's (JR or Black Label - and seriously, are there any better Cab QPRs out there than the Black Label?) and those Seppelts sound fantastic. Sorry to hear about the 98 Edelstone, although I'm quite glad now that I never bought that wine when I had the chance - I had seen a bunch of 95 and 98 Edelstone at a Chicago retailer recently, got a tip that there was some serious bottle variation in the '98 with Henschke having some brett problems in some of their barrels for that wine (and so bought the '95, which was awesome).

Also curious - does Mt. Mary bottle all their wine under Diam now?
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:24 pm

David, great notes all around. I really enjoyed reading your take on the 1990 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling Vendange Tardive. That wine just hits all of my pleasure buttons and was probably my favorite wine I drank all of last year. I would love to drink it on a regular basis!

I agree with Salil about the Wynn's Cab. I have just one bottle left of the '98 John Riddoch, but wish I had more of both it and the basic black label.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:27 pm

David Lole wrote:From memory only -

Pretty good memory, I'd say.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:

I can only agree, that was my thought too. And I'd also like to add that it is good to see you here again, David, we've missed you. Chat on Sunday/Monday?

BTW, what instrument are you playing?
Cheers, mate, Anders
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:23 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Awesome lineup David, good to see you around here again. Really glad to see a note on an older Kirschheck - that is one of my favourite Spatlese from Donnhoff, but I have the habit of breaking into all my Kirschhecks incredibly early (usually within weeks of getting them in my hands :D) and emptying them.

Nice to see notes as usual on some of those Aussie classics; I'm quite envious of anyone with 1998 Wynn's (JR or Black Label - and seriously, are there any better Cab QPRs out there than the Black Label?) and those Seppelts sound fantastic. Sorry to hear about the 98 Edelstone, although I'm quite glad now that I never bought that wine when I had the chance - I had seen a bunch of 95 and 98 Edelstone at a Chicago retailer recently, got a tip that there was some serious bottle variation in the '98 with Henschke having some brett problems in some of their barrels for that wine (and so bought the '95, which was awesome).

Also curious - does Mt. Mary bottle all their wine under Diam now?

You need to be more disciplined, Salil. :lol:

After a period of supposed lacklustre performance, Wynn's are right back on top form with terrific 2004 and impressive but more tannic 2005 Cabernet's (I've noted some recent reports that Wynn's performed very well in 2006 - I haven't tried them as yet). I bought several cases of the 2004 Black label - Foster's (who own Wynn's) were doing the most ridiculous national pricing at the time on this vintage - I tried one - brilliant wine - 15 bucks a bottle (retail back then was $29.90 or thereabouts). Should have bought the superb 2004 John Riddoch as well, but didn't - the $50/bottle price tag scared me off, IIRC.

That 1998 Henschke was served to me by a friend just before our family left for Merimbula. Three experienced wine drinker's reacted identically - and this was the first bottle from my friend's original case purchase at release! :roll: Poor bugger.

Mount Mary have moved to diam cork closures AFAIK.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:
Jon Peterson wrote:

I can only agree, that was my thought too. And I'd also like to add that it is good to see you here again, David, we've missed you. Chat on Sunday/Monday?

BTW, what instrument are you playing?
Cheers, mate, Anders

I will try and get there Anders but the 6 am start these days is a difficult one for me in my current predicament (long story).

I play the goanna (Australian slang for piano). :wink:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:23 pm

David Lole wrote:Mount Mary Chardonnay 2005 - brilliant wine - just too young - tight as a fish’s, terrific line and length, superb construction - almost perfect balance - leave for 3-5 years - potential of 95 points - exceptional promise (diam)

David, this note reminded me of the 2004 Giaconda Estate Vineyard Chardonnay that we had at our wine club, AuZone, during a Chardonnay shootout a couple of weeks ago. It was magnificent. Deep and opulent, but still somehow balanced. Our Aussie expert claimed it o be one of Australia's best Chards, would you agree? And how would you rate it compared to Mount Mary's?

Cheers,
Anders