The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Barolo and Brezeme

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Barolo and Brezeme

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Last night I popped a 1999 Texier Cotes du Rhone Brezeme when a friend came over for a bottle trade. Cork was sawdust, but was able to get with an Ah-So. High acids, but not the teeth enamel remover I remember from a few years ago. Red fruits, all cranberry and raspberry, this is interesting but doesn't strike me as very Syrah-ish. Don't like as much as some more recent bottles (but this definitely isn't tired) B-

I made chicken thighs in a soy/lemon sauce, with rice and a mizuma salad. The Texier didn't seem quite right, so I opened the 2003 Querciola "Sori" Barolo. Ripe, tannic, needs a bit of time to unwind. On low acid side as you might expect from vintage. Modern, on simpler side of Barolo, but ok. B/B-

Plenty of both left we'll see how they fared overnight

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Barolo and Brezeme

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:03 am

Dale Williams wrote:this is interesting but doesn't strike me as very Syrah-ish...

In what way? Is it too tart?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:24 am

Most of the Syrahs I drink (probably 80% Northern Rhone or ESJ) tend toward dark berries, peppery spices, maybe some meat (and leather with age). This was all cranberry/raspberry- tartness is part of it, but more the red fruit profile.

Day 2 the Texier was pretty oxidized. The Barolo was holding it's own. Got an offer this morning for the Barolo at $300 a case, probably ok deal at that price, but I just bought a bunch of '04 Baroli at $20!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Dale Williams wrote:This was all cranberry/raspberry- tartness is part of it, but more the red fruit profile.

I can see that.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:28 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Most of the Syrahs I drink (probably 80% Northern Rhone or ESJ) tend toward dark berries, peppery spices, maybe some meat (and leather with age). This was all cranberry/raspberry- tartness is part of it, but more the red fruit profile.

Dale, I find the same flavors with Texier, and especially more so with his current releases. No matter the grape is grenache or syrah, it all reminds me of tart cranberry/fresh raspberry juice.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:33 am

Mark S wrote:Dale, I find the same flavors with Texier, and especially more so with his current releases. No matter the grape is grenache or syrah, it all reminds me of tart cranberry/fresh raspberry juice.

That seems to be his current style, but even with similarities are you also able to detect differences across grapes/terroir?
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:10 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Mark S wrote:Dale, I find the same flavors with Texier, and especially more so with his current releases. No matter the grape is grenache or syrah, it all reminds me of tart cranberry/fresh raspberry juice.

That seems to be his current style, but even with similarities are you also able to detect differences across grapes/terroir?

Slight differences between the grapes (the red ones, anyway), but you can generally tell the 'better' terroirs, which feel like they have more stuffing.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:46 pm

Mark S wrote:Slight differences between the grapes (the red ones, anyway), but you can generally tell the 'better' terroirs, which feel like they have more stuffing.

Ok. From vintage 2005 onwards the only wines of his I've tasted were the CdR basic and the Brezeme. And those I could tell apart.

Actually, I've tasted another grenache-based CdR cuvee and that was also obviously different from syrah.

But still, I think I know what you're getting at.