The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Oxidation, sometimes intentional

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Oxidation, sometimes intentional

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:59 am

Dinner with my parents last night. Grilled some lemon chicken & some asparagus.

The 2002 Domaine William Fevre Bougros Cote de Bouguerots was oxidized before its time, but did find a place in a marinade for tonight's dinner. :D

The 2000 Huet Vovray Petillant is starting to show more maturity, and is turning more complex with bready, nutty (perhaps oxidative) tones that go beyond the primary pear and lemon fruit. Quite tasty, and it was a very nice match with the chicken.

A bottle of 2004 (Domaine botling) Louis Jadot Corton Charlemagne was in no way oxidized, and in all ways lovely with minerla cut, elegant fruit and oak that was not overbearing (the strength of the wine certainly helped in that regard). This was an even better match with the chicken, and I savored the last glass for a good 90 minutes as it became more and more delicious.

Finally my dad wanted to try the 1998 Lopez de Heredia Vina Gravonia. This was my parents' first foray into the (intentionally) oxidized style of white LdH, and they liked it, finding it brothy and rich. I thought it was good, but not one of the better whites I had tasted from LdH. It was great with the chicken.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Oxidation, sometimes intentional

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:15 am

I know you're not a big fan of oxidative styles (neither am I, though I find the subject very interesting) so have you found the LdH whites to be within your threshold of acceptability? Or has their degree of oxidativeness (?) varied a lot?
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:49 pm

David, thanks for the notes. Too bad about the Fevre. We had a very nice bottle of 2000 Fevre Les Preuses last night--with no signs of oxidation.

I like the "brothy" description of the '98 LdH Gravonia. I have a few hanging around and am looking forward to one probably this Fall some time.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Yeah, my prior bottle of the 2002 Bougros (at Peter C's 2008 Red Sox opening day party) was great. It's random alright.

Oswaldo - I found this bottle of LdH Gravonia less oxidative than most I have tried, but then it was also younger. I liked it, but it's not something I would want to drink on a regular basis.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:40 pm

Anybody ever heard of intentionally oxidized Muscadet? I commented at a wine dinner that a Muscadet we were drinking was obviously and unpleasantly oxidized. The distributor happened to be there and indignantly said that no, it wasn't oxidized; "that's the way it's made." Hooey! The wine was oxidized. Anyhow I forgot to note the name of the winery but wonder if in fact the wine was intentionally oxidized. (If so, the wine maker is making a big mistake. The wine was terrible.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Nope - never heard of intentionally oxidized Muscadet. Sounds awful.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:35 pm

It was (awful).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:43 pm

Like many white wines, as Muscadet ages it can take on nutty oxidative notes. Although we all know David is not a fan of aging Muscadet.. :D
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Yes, I know that nutty oxidatie aroma and flavor and have Muscadets in my cellar going back to 1989 (mostly Louis/Dressner imports), but the wines the distributor bought were relatively young, and her emphasis was on that's how they are "made." My guess is the winery or importer told her that and she swallowed it.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Was the Fevre the estate botttling or the other one that Fevre releases?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:04 pm

Domaine bottling on the Fevre. Hence my title of "Domaine."
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Domaine bottling on the Fevre. Hence my title of "Domaine."

Didn't read carefully enough. Pre mox is really a great pain. Although i've had good luck with the Fevres.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:44 am

Clint Hall wrote:Yes, I know that nutty oxidatie aroma and flavor and have Muscadets in my cellar going back to 1989 (mostly Louis/Dressner imports), but the wines the distributor bought were relatively young, and her emphasis was on that's how they are "made." My guess is the winery or importer told her that and she swallowed it.

Is Joly making a Muscadet now? :lol:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:44 am

My luck with Fevre has been mixed. This bottle of Bougros and a previous bottle of Grenouilles (September '08) were oxidized, but all otehrs have been ok.

That's better luck than I have had with Brocard, where 3 of 4 bottles of the 2002 Le Clos have been shot.