The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Pinots - earthy/veggy & sweet fruited (Oregon & Yarra)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

WTNs: Pinots - earthy/veggy & sweet fruited (Oregon & Yarra)

by Ben Rotter » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:11 am

Evesham Wood Willamette Valley Pinot Noir 2007
Pale, very slightly purpley red.
This has a nose of massive-damp-earth, crushed stale flowers and stems, rotting herbaceous vegetation and maybe some earthy cranberry. Unfortunately, I just can’t get past the rank flower smell that dominates this nose for me. It’s really a shame, because the palate has really beautiful balance, delicacy and lightness, yet plenty of perfectly-ripe (not in the least green or jammy) cherry flavour, superbly-judged unobtrusive oak, and good length.
The rank crushed stale flower aroma isn’t quite as noticable on the palate, which makes it manageable for me. I like earth, rotting vegetal notes and some herbaceousness in my wine, but this particular flavour profile just wasn’t quite right for me - perhaps it was just this vintage (?).
I would highly recommend this for those who enjoy rotting composted veg and ultra-earthy Pinot. I suspect it might improve with spicy food too.

Yeringberg Pinot Noir 2004
A purpley colour that’s starting to gain a deepening brown tone.
Ultra-sweet blackberry and red berries on the nose, with some damp brown leaves and a (well, it almost got there) shitty note appearing with air.
Light to medium bodied, soft acidity, flavours as the nose, and soft medium-grained tannins.
I like Yeringberg’s Chardonnay, so I was quite disappointed by this: it’s just too sweet-fruited (almost jammy).