The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Benefits of a Cellar Cull

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: The Benefits of a Cellar Cull

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:24 am

Did a serious cellar cull/review this weekend in my off-site locker. I did not have the following wine on my spreadsheet: :oops:

2002 Far Niente Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon.
Probably infanticide/needed a longer decant, but this was a classic example of Oakville Cabernet, imho. I actually bicycled down their driveway to the gate, and it is a stunningly beautiful property right below the edge the true beginning of the Mayacamas Range (Oakville Grade starts its climb practically at their driveway).

Dark red berry fruit, with a strong note of anise underneath. Quite a hefty hit of oak still visible-Otto would not like this. Very elegant and structured mouth feel. Lovely, lovely berry fruit with a still evident firm structure. With time...this needed more time in the glass...savory elements and herbs began to appear. Quite lovely. 92 points. The last glass was the most interesting.

BUT on a QPR level, I found the Freemark Abbey cabernet we also drank that evening showed itself quite well-at much less cost. Still, a nice discovery in the depths of the locker.

Am I becoming such a wine geek that I can tell the difference between Rutherford and Oakville? If I do, I prefer the former.

On a side note, I also stopped at Clos Du Val on my bicycle Friday. The conventional wisdom seems to be continuing to fail-the "vintage of the decade" 1997 was actually kinda tired-but the 1998 showed a depth of fruti and delicious waves of flavor. Maybe it is just a few 1998s that are good, but some of my favorite cabs have been 98s!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: The Benefits of a Cellar Cull

by Mark S » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:06 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Am I becoming such a wine geek that I can tell the difference between Rutherford and Oakville?

You're on your way. Once you sense 'Rutherford dust', you're there!