The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tissot, Togni

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Tissot, Togni

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:41 am

Father’s Day dinner with my folks. The meal was pre-planned (Asian marinated, grilled pork tenderloin & Indian spiced cauliflower) but the wines were a bit of a hodge-podge. We had picked up a new (to us) sparkler the day before, and I offered several choices of red wine to my Dad & let him head nod the one he wanted.

We started off by finishing the 2000 Huet Vovray Petillant that we had opened the prior night. It was nuttier than on Saturday (no shock), but still quite good. The last bottle of 2000 is now gone. I am not sure how I will keep my hands off the 2002.

The new sparkler was N.V. Domaine Tissot Crémant du Jura, and we were all quite impressed. There’s lots of apple fruit, and quite a bit of richness, but also precision. The true test of any sparkling wine (or Riesling) is how much Laura likes it, and she had several glasses, so I think we’ll be getting more of this, especially with its $20 price tag.

We then got to the “Father’s Day bottle”, the 1997 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon. I am not sure we could have done better with 100 tries. This wine is in a beautiful spot right now. The red and black fruit is still right there, but the tannins have mellowed, and the whole wine is just a seamless whole that kept getting better and better with each sip. By the time I reached my last glass the aromatics were pure heaven in a glass. I have no doubt my other bottle can last and even improve for many more years, but I really see no reason to wait, as it is so delicious now.

But we had not had enough wine, so I uncorked a bottle of the 2009 QPR champ, the 2007 Domaine La Garrigue Côtes du Rhône Cuvée Romaine. This Côtes du Rhône is about 99.7% of the way to being really good Chateauneuf du Pape at 1/4 to 1/3 the price. It’s lacking a bit of the earthiness and herb that I want to find in top flight Southern Rhones, but for $12 it delivers so much fruit and such great balance that I don’t really care. Fun stuff, and a case is not enough.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Tissot, Togni

by Jenise » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:05 pm

Nice selection of wines. Love that cuvee Romaine. Should buy some for our cellar too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Jenise,

However much you think you want of that Cotes du Rhone - buy twice as much. It's so good.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Very nice menu and that sounds like a really fun lineup of wines. Just surprised there was no Riesling for Laura amongst all the red wine (especially as I remember that pork being quite awesome with Spatlese).

Out of curiosity - was the Togni only showing primary fruit still, or were there any signs of development/some more advanced Cab flavours?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Salil,

The Togni was very nuanced, but in a fruity way. It really had everything. It was one of the best California Cabernets I have ever tasted.