The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four "natural" Tuscans from Cosimo Maria Masini

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Four "natural" Tuscans from Cosimo Maria Masini

by Saina » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:10 pm

Lee Greene of Cosimo Maria Masini was visiting the Finnish importer and I was kindly invited to taste their range. In typical Musar fashion, the whites were shown after the reds. I can understand that with such "orange" whites as they really can overpower the reds though they don't always seem like they would!

Jarno Malmberg of Funky Wine Imports (l), Lee Greene of Cosimo Maria Masini (r)

• 2006 Cosimo Maria Masini Nicole - Italy, Tuscany, Maremma, Maremma Toscana IGT (6/1/2009)
    100% Sangiovese, as opposed to 2005 which had 10% Cabernet Sauvignon mixed in. I think this 2006 is more pleasurable because of its purity of fruit. It smells of cherries and has a general sense of bright, unadulterated redness about it. As befits the vintage, the fruit is very ripe but it is in no way overdone. It is full bodied with 14% abv, but has wonderful grip and refreshing character. The aftertaste is long. It seems like a very "natural" wine. Very nice!
  • 2006 Cosimo Maria Masini Cosimo - Italy, Tuscany, Maremma, Maremma Toscana IGT (6/1/2009)
    90% Sangiovese, 10% Buonamico from 50 yo vines; matures in big casks. The scent is dark and ripe but obviously Sangiovese with its cherry tang. The palate is also big and ripe (14% abv IIRC) but has refreshing tannins and tangy acidity. I don't often say this but this was very nice for such a big wine!
  • 2007 Cosimo Maria Masini Trebbiano Daphné Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (6/1/2009)
    A lovely "orange" and "natural" wine! Earthy, herbaceous scent of copper pans and red berries - yes, it reads like a red wine and in some ways that is more what it reminded me of. Lovely if a bit low on acidity, but it does have good grip and a general sense of liveliness so the soft acidity is forgiven. An intriguing and very pleasurable wine.
  • 2001 Cosimo Maria Masini Vin Santo Fedardo - Italy, Tuscany, Vin Santo (6/1/2009)
    Trebbiano-Malvasia Bianca of 50 yo vines. It smells of toffee and despite exuding some herbaceous aromas they don't really bring a refreshing lift to the sweetness. It tastes massive and thick and sweet, but does have fair structure. It just seems a bit monolithic now - probably just in need of age. Still, I do rather enjoy a super-sticky on occasion in small amounts, and this was indeed fun!
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.