The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Claude Courtois Racines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2005 Claude Courtois Racines

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:12 am

2005 Les Cailloux du Paradis (Claude Courtois) Racines 12.5%
Last year I took one of these to a barbeque in New York and quite enjoyed it, so I was frustrated that two older (02 and 03) Courtois wines that I subsequently took down to Brazil were flawed. Wanting Marcia to taste a decent one, I took my chances and brought down another bottle of this (newer) example.

A blend of Cabernet Franc, Côt and Cabernet Sauvignon. Aromas in the glass are serious cherry, church spices, forest floor and iodine. Before food, the acidity is deliciously bracing. Excellent structure and mouth feel, crystal clear and precise. Alcohol completely civilized (methinks it should never be higher than this). After food, perfect equilibrium ensues, and endures.

Wines from Courtois are hit or miss, but this was absolutely satisfying and made an eloquent case for the approach. With a wine like this, the penny drops without having to drop a copper penny (if you catch my drift). We had it with an excellent and creamy American goat's milk cheese (Vermont Butter & Cheese "Ash Ripened Bonne Bouche") and some P'tit Basque (sheep), plus bread and salad.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2005 Claude Courtois Racines

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:26 am

Sounds nice, I'm glad it was pleasing and civilized. But did you think it was worthy of 'cult' status or special attention/pricing?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:51 am

Rahsaan wrote:Sounds nice, I'm glad it was pleasing and civilized. But did you think it was worthy of 'cult' status or special attention/pricing?

Good point, there was nothing so exotic or magical (or whatever) to warrant cult status. But I would say it's absolutely terrific value.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:09 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:But I would say it's absolutely terrific value.

That's good. I found some of his wines to be on the pricey side, but glad to hear about a positive experience.