The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Chamonard Morgon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 1996 Chamonard Morgon

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:21 am

1996 Domaine Joseph Chamonard Morgon Le Clos de Lys 12.5%
The report on my trip to Paris this February could have been called "Looking for Chamonard" because this was, at the time, the only Gang of Five producer not imported in the US, so finding it became a test of a wine shop or restaurant's depth of comprehensiveness. So, while browsing at Chambers Street last month, imagine my surprise at running into a solitary bottle of 96 (!!!) Morgon from Chamonard. Imported by a new kid on the block, Savio Soares Selections, whose website shows a promising ethos.

Definitely the oldest Beaujolais I have ever tried, I expected this to be Moregone than Morgon. The bottle and label looked pristine, suggesting recent bottling from the domaine (an email to the importer remained unanswered at press time). Color was a light but dullish garnet, still somewhat youthful. Aromas were lovely, to my pleasure and surprise. Cherry, spice, violets and a touch of funk. Before food, excellent acid grip, filling mouth weight, fruit still very much alive, even kicking, with a hint of bitterness in the finish and a touch of burnt rubber that soon wafted away. After food, complete equilbrium. Marcia kept nudging me for more. A really good experience, and eloquent testimony that wines with little or no SO2 can last. Drunk with Ossau Iraty and Boucheron, bread and salad.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 1996 Chamonard Morgon

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:10 pm

Interesting indeed. Glad that it worked out well and everything tastes good with Ossau Iraty!