The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Henry of Pelham Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2007 Henry of Pelham Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:40 am

I was eager to try the '07 version of this iconic Ontarian hybrid red - this flagship Baco - and tonight I did.

Solid, high-quality natural cork closure, as always. 13% alc./vol. Beautiful, saturated beet-crimson red (indicative of the hot dry vintage that was '07); solid cherry-black hue at the core. With the necessary decanting the wine opens up readily to show hickory smoke, briney/meaty aromas, torrefazione, rustic sour plum and Vitis riparia nuances, all framed by well-apportioned American oak - classic Henry of Pelham Baco. Brisk, sharp acidity on the entry - true to variety - though quite mellow and well balanced on the mid-palate. Cleansing, brisk and fresh mouthfeel. Good structure, mainly carried by the acidity, with some dusty light tannin and astringency from the wood coming into play toward the finish. Spicy oak comes back for an encore before the curtain is drawn.

At $13.95 on general list at the LCBO, it seems to have gone up in price somewhat over previous years' vintages; but the quality is all there, both in terms of vintage and winemaking.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2007 Henry of Pelham Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:50 am

Thanks Paul, was wondering if you were going to post on the newer vintage. I am still enjoying my splits of the`06 for $9.95!!

Sounds like some time in the cellar might be of advantage?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:32 pm

Paul, any idea how the 2004 vintage is progressing? I have a 2004 Henry of Pelham Baco Reserve waiting ...
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:40 pm

The thing about this red is that it is pretty consistent most years in terms of quality. Baco can have a sourness in the best of vintages, but in hot years like '07, there is additional depth and stuffing to round that out. Plus, Henry of Pelham puts effort into these wines and you can taste the style in them.

2004 ... hard to say. I don't cellar this wine myself, though I can't see why it wouldn't be very fine right now. '04 had a cool/rainy start to the ripening season, but then some nice dry sunny weather in October. Not sure when they harvested the Baco given that it's one of the earlier varieties.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:00 pm

My experience of the Reserve is that they can age for a few yrs. Not sure about the history of the vintage that year. Peter, I would think drink up soon?
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:34 pm

Thing is, Baco has the acidity to carry it a long time in bottle. I had a '94 version of the same wine in early 2005, and although it fell apart by the next day, it was drinking wonderfully for a few hours. Storage conditions, of course, could not be confirmed, so mileage is apt to vary.

Bottom line, though: I think the wine should be very sound if well stored.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:08 am

Thanks all -- I've not had a Baco since I was in Ontario in Sep 2006
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi Paul,

I still have that 2004 Henry of Pelham Baco Noir reserve you gave me in my cellar :wink: . Do you think it is ready to drink yet? When you gave it to me you said it needed a year or two in the bottle yet.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:19 pm

Tom,

Yes, I would say you'd be just fine trying it now. It's been about 2 years since we meet up, has it? That would have given it time to meld together. As I recall, that particular vintage of the reserve had a lot of stuffing that needed to basically come together. I'd certainly decant it for about an hour before serving.