The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

BTN: The beers of Michigan

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

BTN: The beers of Michigan

by Keith M » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:37 pm

An extended visit to Ann Arbor has allowed me to discover what a fantastic beer scene they have in town and the delicious range of brews that Michigan is putting out.

First, a superb local brewpub, Arbor Brewing Company . . . I'm still making my way through their list:
  • Arbor Brewing No Parking Pilsner. Ann Arbor, Michigan. (german pilsner) on tap at Arbor Brewing – appears orange brown gold, thick white head, smell gentle freshness, but faint, mouthfeel thicker texture, fuller bodied, fantastic tight foam, taste lots of good flavor, good bitter, good hops, bit tart, bit fuller bodied than I prefer, but taste-wise, this was deliciously bitter and refreshing and up my alley, fantastic with food, in this case a strawberry salad, refreshing and a beer that makes a statement, yum -- my first beer once I got into town, and a very, very good sign of things to come.
  • Arbor Brewing Olde Number 22 German Alt. Ann Arbor, Michigan. (altbier) on tap at Arbor Brewing Company, 5% – appears dark cola/root beer, medium bubbly tan head, smell pleasant light smoky leather, mouthfeel very tight carbonation, taste leathery licorice, dark intense licorice without anise, nice long tart finish, dark mushroom soy sauce sans sweetness, enjoyable dark beer
  • Arbor Brewing Triple Stone Extra Special Bitter. Ann Arbor, Michigan. (extra special bitter) on tap at Arbor Brewing, 5% - mouthfeel tight with even carbonation, thick foamy, taste crisp chewy hops, fruity, strong but with a great grip, very decent stuff, that said, a glass satiates, not for the long haul, but a delicious amuse bouche
  • Arbor Brasserie Blonde Belgian. Ann Arbor, Michigan. (belgian pale ale) on tap at Arbor Brewing -- pretty awesome nose of varnish, mouthfeel even and giving, taste cool funky varnish, raw fruits, garlic and onion, awesome stuff, lots of fun to drink, different but not overly geeky, great balance.

A block away, Grizzly Peak seems to do better at the food than they do at the beer--but a nine beer sampler in a single line up allows lots of sampling with little effort:
  • Grizzly Peak Victors’ Golden Ale. Ann Arbor, Michigan. (golden ale and blonde ale) – on tap - smell weird vegetal, taste soft, rounded and easy, frothy weak bitterness, not flabby but uninteresting, pass.
  • Grizzly Peak Pale Ale. Ann Arbor, Michigan. (American pale ale) on tap - smell faint rubber and anise nose, nice enough, taste nice hoppy richness with bitters, a fun beer, likable.
  • Grizzly Peak Steelhead Red Ale. Ann Arbor, Michigan. (amber and red ale) on tap - smell simple caramel, taste simple and pleasant, malty froth, good, very drinkable and inoffensive, but not exciting.
  • Grizzly Peak Bear Paw Porter. Ann Arbor, Michigan. (american porter) on tap - smell faint pencil lead, mouthfeel firm light carbonation, tastes watery, lacks concentration, smoky cigarettes, oddly appealing, not much depth here, pass.
  • Grizzly Peak Hefeweizen. Ann Arbor, Michigan. on tap – amell classic overdone banana, mouthfeel creamy, taste sweet and candied, unfortunate watery, double pass
  • Grizzly Peak Cask-conditioned IPA. Ann Arbor, Michigan (American India pale ale) on tap - smell light hops, taste nicely balanced, decent sharp good hops, decent.
  • Grizzly Peak Cask-conditioned Liberty Pale Ale. Ann Arbor, Michigan. (american pale ale) - frothy hops, a bit soure, boring, piney oaky, too much of the sappy hops, pretty boring.

A local place close to campus clearly doesn't shun away from the serious beer culture either, with the popular hangout Ashley's offering a mindnumbing offering of beers, including a Michigan sampler:
  • Bell's Amber Ale. Kalamazoo, Michigan. (amber and red ale) on tap - smell faint, mouthfeel sharp carbonation, medium grip, taste rounded with nuts and some wheat, definitely has flavor and it is pretty tasty, but unfortunate lingering boringness, lacks raison, meh, pass.
  • Founders Pale Ale. Grand Rapids, Michigan (american pale ale) - on tap - mouthfeel thick with sharp carbonation, taste sweet yet sour hops, nice balance, a rich blend but the fantastic bitter hops keep everything in balance, fantastic and interesting to drink. June 2009. - crown cap on 12 ounce bottle - smell sour ale, mouthfeel solid firmness, taste very tangy cardamom, light roasted hops, interesting.
  • New Holland Dragon's Milk Oak Barrel Ale. Holland, Michigan (american strong ale) - on tap - mouthfeel soft, integrated bubbles, good foamy coolness, taste coffee and italian liqueur, very different and very compelling, drinkable in small quantities, but still distinct, crisp weird high alcoholic goodness, I'd gladly revisit
  • Short's Bellaire Brown Ale. Bellaire, Michigan. (american brown ale) on tap - mouthfeel smooth and sleek, taste dark and easy brown sugar with alcohol, very drinkable, very easygoing, gets a little yeasty, I like funky but I just found this beer weird, not enticing for some reason.

The local beer stores are also packed to the gills with Michigan offerings by the bottle--which allowed me to host a Michigan beer-themed party. More opportunities to explore . . .
  • Bell's Pale Ale. Kalamazoo, Michigan (american pale ale) - crown cap on 12 ounce bottle - smell lemon and grapefruit, mouthfeel frothy and easy, taste is nicely bitter, refreshing, frothy rounded and doable, easy drinking beer
  • Dark Horse Scotty Karate Scotch Ale. Marshall, Michigan. (scotch ale) crown cap on 12 ounce bottle, 9.75% - appears reddish with off-brown head, smell rich and sweet, lightly floral but generally pretty sweet nose, mouthfeel thicker but flows freely, loose foamy carbonation, taste nuts and soy sauce, pretty intense on the palate, faintly bitter, the soy sauce and bitter combo keeps the beer fairly interesting, but I found it a bit overpowering, perhaps with the right food (something Asian?) or a colder setting (read not summer in the high 80s), this beer might work, as it was I found it okay but not exciting to my tastes
  • Bell's Lager. Kalamazoo, Michigan - nice hoppy fresh nose, mouthfeel thick, yet not heavy, taste crisp delicious hops, good bitters, pleasant and crunchy, perfect hot weather beer, pairs fantastically with stirfried tofu and black swan (or something like that) and grilled tuna steak. Crisp and delicious all the way through--simple and good.
  • Dark Horse Reserve Special Black Bier Ale. Marshall, Michigan. (American strong ale) crown cap on 12 ounce bottle. - appers motor oil consistency, thick brown head, smell nice brown sugar, molasses and motor oil, super nice nose, mouthfeel thick with even carbonation, good grip, taste rich and delicious, high octane, awesome concentration of flavor, good bitter balance, huge beer that remains delicious, very versatile with food, good repeat beer.
  • Arbor Brewing Red Snapper Amber Ale. Ann Arbor, Michigan (amber and red ale) crown cap on 12 ounce bottle - appears redish black, very dark, smell nice good hop, pretty gentle and tender on the nose which is very nice, mouthfeel even with light carbonation, taste nuts, campfire, stone, very slatey with smoke, easy drinking with a serious edge, very nice version of an edgier amber
  • Arcadia India Pale Ale. Battle Creek, Michigan (english ipa) crown cap on 12 ounce bottle - fantastic nose of caramel and nuts, mouthfeel frothy, taste excellent hops, tasty richness, not exactly clean but still rich somehow, delicious hops well-treated, yum, phenomenal summer grilling beer
  • Keweenaw Pick Axe Blonde Ale. Houghton/South Range, Michigan (belgian pale ale) 12 ounce can - appears cloudy orange with thin white head, smell light orange and coriander, light banana, tastes more of a belgian style, good balance and good flavor, but not as precise as I'd prefer, still nice effort
  • Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow India Pale Ale. Ann Arbor, Michigan (american india pale ale) crown cap on 12 ounce bottle - appears red, smell piney hops, reserved fruit background, a bit flat on the nose, taste wonderful complexity, complex faded hops, solid pine and ginger, yum, fantastic
Last edited by Keith M on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: BTN: The beers of Michigan

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:09 pm

Sounds like you've been doing some good research and nice to hear about a few styles besides the hoppy (often pale) ale that seems to dominate the American craft brew scene (at least at the relatively mainstream places where I end up buying beer).

Are you in Ann Arbor for ICPSR?
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:57 am

Rahsaan wrote:Sounds like you've been doing some good research and nice to hear about a few styles besides the hoppy (often pale) ale that seems to dominate the American craft brew scene (at least at the relatively mainstream places where I end up buying beer).

Are you in Ann Arbor for ICPSR?

My impression of the American craft brew scene was not much different from yours until I found good retailers (and what is shocking is that the selection at my source here in Ann Arbor combines the best selection I found in both Berkeley and Alexandria). But excellent beertailers are far less prevalent than corresponding wine shops.

Yup, stats camp. Halfway through the first session--so repeated sampling will continue. Fantastic place to spend a summer.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:08 am

Nice. I was there for the same purpose a few years ago and found Village Corner to have a very interesting wine selection. But it sounds like you have plenty of options as it is..
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:22 pm

Keith,

Excellent notes and thanks for taking the time to post all of the details.

It is good to hear that New Holland is producing Dragon's Milk. That is one of my favorites but was told by my local beer retailer that it was no longer available. I wonder if he meant no longer available locally in bottles because from your report it is obviously available in Michigan on tap. I will have to pursue this further.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.