The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Leoville-Barton

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2003 Leoville-Barton

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:50 am

2003 Chateau Leoville-Barton Saint-Julien 13.0%
After Monday night's 2003 Pauillac, that didn't perform up to the standard expected from a hectare adjoining Mouton, last night I decided to follow up with an unquestionably good 2003. Lovely aromas of blackberry, graphite, vanilla, tobacco and smoked meats. Chocolate joins the party in the mouth, with decent acidity for the vintage. Tannins on the lighter side and structure/mid-palate not quite as chunky as I would have hoped. After food, the acidity recedes a bit (would have liked a touch more) but the tannins take up the slack by becoming more prominent. Good stuff. Still a baby, but already open for business. 2003s seem to have become open much faster than cooler vintages, though this one still has at least a decade of improvement ahead of it.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: WTN: 2003 Leoville-Barton

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:54 am

Nice to see this TN, Oswaldo, thanks for posting it. The '89 Leoville-Barton was the first wine I ever bought on futures and since then I've always had some on hand and I'd been wondering about the '03.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:38 am

Cool. Maybe I can try a couple of my 2003s!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanx for the read on this, Oswaldo. LB is one of my favorite Bdx wines. Year in and year out, good quality, and generally, in the scheme of things, reasonable prices (especially some of the older ones at auction). I scored a bunch of the 03s recently at a killer price (< $90), but haven't tried one. Good to know they are open for business.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:01 pm

I keep remembering Michel Lafarge telling a visitor in 2005 that he didn't think his 2003s would ever shut down. That suggests that higher acidity plays a counter role in the poorly understood phenomenon of closing, particularly reds...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:06 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I keep remembering Michel Lafarge telling a visitor in 2005 that he didn't think his 2003s would ever shut down. That suggests that higher acidity plays a counter role in the poorly understood phenomenon of closing, particularly reds...

Interesting... so.. more acidity, less likely to shut down? Good.. cuz I like my wines with acidity.. whites especially, but reds too. Always more `refreshing', for lack of a better term. Interesting theory, if it is a theory.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:09 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:I keep remembering Michel Lafarge telling a visitor in 2005 that he didn't think his 2003s would ever shut down. That suggests that higher acidity plays a counter role in the poorly understood phenomenon of closing, particularly reds...

Interesting... so.. more acidity, less likely to shut down? Good.. cuz I like my wines with acidity.. whites especially, but reds too. Always more `refreshing', for lack of a better term. Interesting theory, if it is a theory.

Alas, the other way round: 2003s were less acid, therefore less likely to shut down. Since acidity is positively correlated with longevity, it makes some sense that it would also delay blooming.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:21 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
James Dietz wrote:

Alas, the other way round: 2003s were less acid, therefore less likely to shut down. Since acidity is positively correlated with longevity, it makes some sense that it would also delay blooming.

I missed the `counter' in your quote..Image .... damn... thanx for the clarification. So.. acidity, still good.. trying to salvage my dignity here!! :D Image
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:02 pm

Acidity is definitely good! :D So much so that I have come to see the acid/sweet balance as the most important single aspect in a wine...

Though many 03s were lower in acid, the silver lining may earlier accessibility, when many 01s and 02s (and surely 00s) are still be closed, possibly because they were higher in acid. Some of the "lesser" 03s (Meyney, Potensac, Aiguilhe, etc.) started to open about two years ago and must be doing quite well right now.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:51 pm

This tasting note shocks me. I liked this wine a whole lot in 2006, but I never expect a Leoville Barton to be ready to drink so early or to have such a short (10+ year) window of development. The 1990 (also a hot year) still isn't quite ready in my book.

I'll have to keep an eye on my 2003s if they are developing this fast. I'm trying the Montrose next month and I'll post a note.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:05 pm

I had another 03 LB last year and it was lovely too so, given your experience in 06, it's been open (enough) for at least three years, most unusual.

Definitely an odd vintage, so worth checking in rather than relying on our usual Bdx guidelines. Look forward to your note on the Montrose.
no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 am

by Chris Kissack » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks for the note on this, another reminder that I should open some of my 2003s. The problem is, I have been saying that to myself for at least a year, and I occasionally say it regarding my 1995s, 1996s and 2001s as well.