The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Northern Rhone Guigal wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Northern Rhone Guigal wines

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:07 am

Yesterday I was in my BAWS and noticed some Guigal wines with a reduced price. There was 2001 Hermitage ~ $35. and some '96 Cote Rotie ~ $45 per 750 ml bottle. Given that the theme for Mo'Cool this year is a revisit to syrah, I was interested in both of these wines.

I would imagine that the 96 Rotie has been on the shelf for a long time, and the Hermitage but still for some years as well, but less that the 96 Cote Rotie (of course). Since I don't usually splurge on northern Rhone wines (price issue) very often, I would appreciate hearing opinions on both of these wines, as well as on Guigal wines in general. I really can't afford any of the LaLa's that are available in this store, but are well north of $200 each.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Northern Rhone Guigal wines

by Howie Hart » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:29 am

I'm interested in this also. I'm not a big Syrah fan, however, in addition to MOCOOL, I'm planning on attending a tasting of Cote du Rhone at the local AWS chapter this Sunday (7/12) and I'm supposed to bring a bottle in the $15-20 range, but I don't mind going a bit higher.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:50 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Yesterday I was in my BAWS and noticed some Guigal wines with a reduced price. There was 2001 Hermitage ~ $35. and some '96 Cote Rotie ~ $45 per 750 ml bottle. Given that the theme for Mo'Cool this year is a revisit to syrah, I was interested in both of these wines.

I would imagine that the 96 Rotie has been on the shelf for a long time, and the Hermitage but still for some years as well, but less that the 96 Cote Rotie (of course). Since I don't usually splurge on northern Rhone wines (price issue) very often, I would appreciate hearing opinions on both of these wines, as well as on Guigal wines in general. I really can't afford any of the LaLa's that are available in this store, but are well north of $200 each.

If provenance is decent and the store's not overly warm, then grab the Cote Rotie. Decent price too for the Hermitage... but I don't find Guigal's Hermitage that interesting, whereas I love his Cote-Roties and find them generally excellent.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:17 am

Salil Benegal wrote:If provenance is decent and the store's not overly warm, then grab the Cote Rotie. Decent price too for the Hermitage... but I don't find Guigal's Hermitage that interesting, whereas I love his Cote-Roties and find them generally excellent.

Thanks for the input Salil. I have intentions of grabbing one and doing some lamb to accompany. I guess it is the store temperature that has me put off a little. I am not sure just what the store's ambient temperature is, but around 70F I would suspect.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:34 pm

I will echo Salil's comment with one major caveat: 2001 was a much better year in the Northern Rhone than was 1996.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I will echo Salil's comment with one major caveat: 2001 was a much better year in the Northern Rhone than was 1996.

Do 97% of scientists and point keepers say that?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:48 pm

No, but 100% of this wine drinker does. I never like the '96s.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Since I am not all that familiar with CdR wines, I had to do some research. For the AWS tasting this coming Sunday, I bought two Southern Rhones, as my research showed that Syrah is not a dominant grape variety there. I've had CdP and liked it so I bought a 2005 Chante Cigale. My only reservation is that opening it may be infanticide. And since white or red was not specified, the other wine I bought is a 2008 Ch. de Segries Tavel Rose. I'll post TNs.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:35 pm

Chante Cigale used to be a favorite of mine, back in the 1980s. Then the local New England importer stopped bringing it in and I've lost touch with the estate. Based on what I tasted back then, Chante Cigale needs 5-8 years to learn proper manners.

Grenache, rather than Syrah, tends to rule the roost in the Southern Rhone.

-Paul W.