The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Southern Rhone Lunch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Southern Rhone Lunch

by Jay Labrador » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Notes from Thursday's Southern Rhone lunch at Pepato with most of the usual suspects.

The token white was from Okanagan, BC, Canada - Quail's Gate Chenin Blanc 2007 - Care of Vince who just got back from Canada last week. Apparently this was served by the Prime Minister of Canada to Pres. Obama during his first state visit. Lots of acidity. Limes. Very tart. Too sour for my taste. The acidity just seemed to obliterate any fruit.

On to the reds:

Chateau Rayas Reserve 2002 - This is the third time I've had this wine and it seems to be getting better all the time. Very pale. Good nose, spicy, dried herbs. Sweet fruit. Coffee. Soft. Very friendly, lovely wine. Impressive length. A real triumph for this vintage. Certainly not a profound wine but a real joy to drink.

Fonsalette Cotes du Rhone 1995 - Very dark. A bit hot. Still tannic. Slightly smoky. Firm and seems closed to me. I'm not sure if the fruit is still there as it was difficult to assess. It probably could age a bit more which will hopefully open it up. Judgment reserved.

Chateauneuf du Pape Domaine de Marcoux 2004 - Very dark. Ripe, good body. Quite dry and while obviously very young, it is drinking very nicely now. Needs more time to gain some complexity. Very good.

Chateauneuf du Pape Domaine Vieux Telegraphe La Crau 1998 - Barnyardy. Very dry, full-bodied. Dried herbs and roast meat. Very complex and still tannic. A good drink now but needs more time to reach full potential. Very good now but will probably be excellent given a few more years.

For dessert we had a Gabriel Meffre Laurus Muscat Beaumes de Venise 2006 and a Pride Mountain Vineyard Mistelle de Viognier - I think this is a non-vintage but I could be wrong. Medium gold. Lovely nose. Very creamy and sweet. Grapey. There's a lot of acid on the finish which keeps the sweetness from being cloying. Very good.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Southern Rhone Lunch

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:06 pm

Quails Gate used to be very good but overall of late I have not been impressed. The Gewurz. might still be tasty?
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Re: WTN: Southern Rhone Lunch

by Jay Labrador » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll tell my friend to try the Gewurz.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.