The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Aussies with the Ashes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Aussies with the Ashes

by Salil » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:24 am

The Ashes are here (well, for those of us who pay any attention to cricket), so it was only appropriate to open some Australian wines to go with the first match.

2002 Frankland Estate Isolation Ridge Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon (Frankland River, WA)
Dark red colour, already throwing a ton of sediment. Savoury cassis and dark fruited flavours with strong minty and forestal elements and notes of cedar and graphite emerging with more time. Good acidity underneath, tannins mostly resolved - drinking very well right now, though I don't see this getting any better.
Interesting wine to explore - considering the region and site specialize more in cooler-climate Syrahs and Riesling, I was very curious how a Cab in a very warm year would fare. Certainly quite unusual for an Aussie Cab with really bright acidity (always a plus for me), and the earthy/forestal/graphite flavours dominating the fruit for the most part.

2005 Yering Station Pinot Noir (Yarra Valley, Vic)
Medium ruby colour, very elegant and enjoyable with bright strawberry and sour cherry flavours over earth and hints of cinnamon. Light on its feet with good acidity and a clean finish with a little tartness. Seriously good value (at around US $20), and this is one of the very few New World Pinots I've had that reminds me of an old world wine - it's savoury with none of the really sweet fruit I find in most Aussie/Cali/NZ Pinots, and there were a few times when I wondered whether it could pass as a decent village Bourgogne, given the sense of lightness and acidity here that made it really great at the dining table.

2006 Bindi Pyrette Shiraz (Heathcote, Vic)
This is amazing! So much finesse and elegance here; gorgeous flavours of violets, plums, cherries and blackberries with savoury leather and earthy notes underneath providing a nice counterpoint to the sweet, plummy fruit. Surprisingly light on its feet (for a 14% alcohol wine) with plenty of acidity giving it a sense of freshness, silky tannins on the back end and a long finish. One of the best example of Shiraz/Syrah I've ever had, wonderful wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Aussies with the Ashes

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:26 am

So then you are clearly rooting for England.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 am

Australia is regrouping, England is improving!! So there.
Can we talk rodeo!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Can we talk rodeo!

Only if you're drinking wine made in Alberta. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:44 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Australia is regrouping, England is improving!! So there.
Can we talk rodeo!

Only after Australia's beaten England again this series and crushed another set of hopes for regaining the Ashes! :D