The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Do you have "the last bottle"?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: Do you have "the last bottle"?

by wnissen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Please don't make me think I might have the last bottle of anything! I have enough trouble drinking last bottles as it is.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:02 am

I have a 2 magnum set of the 1995 Alban-Krankl 'tant Pis. There were only 72 sets produced. I imagine most of them have been divided and consumed.
Last edited by Bernard Roth on Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:23 am

Bernard Roth wrote:I have a 2 magnum set of the 1996 Alban-Krankl 'tant Pis. There were only 72 sets produced. I imagine most of them have been divided and consumed.

Either that or 47 of them are being hoarded by one guy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 pm

New York City

by Cliff Rosenberg » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:25 pm

I don't know how many people are holding onto bottles of Eric Nicholas' demi-sec Pineau-d'Aunis rosé. I bet more people keep the Buster version of Peillot's Altesse. According to CT, I'm the only one with a 1995 Paternoster Don Anselmo left.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:36 pm

This could make for an interesting tasting theme - "The only bottle known to exist."
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Chris Newport

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:19 pm

by Chris Newport » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:23 am

According to cellartracker I have the last bottle of '95 Barthod Charmes... but I know this not to be true... CSW had two in stock last week (long since sold).

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:19 pm

As far as Cellar Tracker I may have the last bottle of 1999 Casa Carneros Los Carneros Pinot Noir. Small production to begin with and I will probably open my last bottle of this during the fall months. Owners of the winerey are Melissa Moravec and her husband Kurt Reaume. The wine is still available from the winery with a limit of two bottles so I know it's not really the last bottle.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:50 pm

Well tonight's bottle isn't listed on cellartracker or wine-searcher, so may be the last bottle (well except for the ones that sat next to it in the shop we bought it from last thursday :oops: ).

1996 Domaine Borgnat Coulanges-la-vineuse Château d'Escolives - France, Burgundy, Côtes d'Auxerre, Coulanges-la-vineuse (8/3/2009)
A new wine (and indeed grape) to me - being a blend of Pinot Noir and Cèsar.

It's showing a little age at the rim, but a little more red than I might expect of a straight pinot noir (at this age). The nose is quite light, of raspberry and smoke with a touch of meatiness.

Again light on the palate and with a quite bright and persistant raspberry fruit, subtle complexity and refreshing acidity. Interesting to try and doing very well at 13 years old. I don't know whether this would take on more complexity with further age, but both fruit and acidity seem healthy enough at the moment.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Previous