The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Yoakim Bridge Zin '03 (DCV)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN: Yoakim Bridge Zin '03 (DCV)

by John Treder » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:44 pm

Don't worry if you've never heard of this place. It makes Joseph Swan look like Gallo. :wink:
I was talking to David Coffaro one day when there was no one else in the room and he suggested I might like this winery.

David Cooper does the growing and winemaking and Virginia Morgan does the business stuff. When they're open for tasting, they are the ones behind the counter.

I bought a couple of bottles of this in March 2008 on a visit to the winery. Yes, they often have library wines open.
I drank one bottle back in January, and noted: Seriously good Zin. Slow to open. Very dark. Still pretty tannic, but beep blackberry flavor that lasts and lasts and lasts.
I dug out another bottle for spaghetti last night, knowing I'd grill some lamb chops tonight.
Yesterday: Dark black-purple. Deep blackberry taste. Very long. I need another couple of bottles.
Today: (grilled lamb loin chops, sauteed fresh tomato, rotini) Better the second night with all kinds of leathery foresty stuff.
You'll know it's Zin, and given its weight and earthiness, you'll probably guess Sonoma County or DCV. But it's nothing like a Turley or Rafanelli.

Maybe a couple more won't be enough. I hope they still have some. Maybe I ought to call and buy some. No website - their card has a phone number and their personal emails.
14.5% alcohol.

The Zin is dry-farmed, a mix of newer (30 year old) and older (80+ year old) vines. Very gnarly in the winter.

David also makes Syrah, Merlot and Cab. The Merlot and Cab fruit are purchased from local vineyards. They're all in a very similar style, not overripe, very strongly made and very hard when young. It happens to be a style I've come to like, but it isn't easy to find without being one of the "big" wines.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Yoakim Bridge Zin '03 (DCV)

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:59 pm

Wow - haven't been there in years and I hadn't heard much about them recently. Good to hear that they're still going strong.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:19 am

John..very good point re "when they are open"..they weren't open when we were there..so we wound up at Coffaro
tasted, had good time, bought some wine and some futures, got my email today re my futures now being available to arrange for shipping
Jon
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:28 pm

Yoakim Bridge and Joseph Swan are ordinarily only open on weekends and holidays. I think Porter Creek follows that pattern, too.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: WTN: Yoakim Bridge Zin '03 (DCV)

by Jon Leifer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:47 pm

Porter Creek was open same day we tried Yoakim
Jon
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: Yoakim Bridge Zin '03 (DCV)

by John Treder » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:53 pm

With these small places, if you really want to visit one, it's always best to check with them ahead of time. Sometimes something can be worked out.
OTOH, driving around on the back roads in Sonoma County is so enjoyable that I'll take my chances. If one place is closed, another place I've never stopped at is likely to be open. And I've been poking around there for more than a decade.

John
John in the wine county