The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A nice, cheap(?) Oregon Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A nice, cheap(?) Oregon Pinot Noir

by Saina » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Today I was handed a fishbowl Riedel with a light coloured liquid in it. It was by no means a great wine, but that isn't what one always needs. This seemed like an honest, little wine and it smelled of beetroot and pure Pinosity and it seemingly sees only neutral wood. Deliciously light body, not terribly high acidity, but perfectly adequate; nice tannins, too. Refreshing and quite moreish - it didn't take long to finish my glass. It looked like Pinot and smelled like Pinot so blurted out that it was a very decent Burgundy from some lighter, less exalted terroir, some good recent vintage perhaps '06 because of the strong fruit presence.

My interlocutor laughed and told me to guess again. I said "ok, from the charming tartness added to the nice fruit, it might be one of the more successful Alsace Pinots?"

I was told it was new world. And then I did guess Oregon. The wine was Firesteed Oregon Pinot Noir 2007 and it is only 12,4% abv. It apparently costs somewhere around 10$ over there, but sadly over 18€ here. :evil: It's not worth it at the Finnish price because I can get some perfectly decent minor Faiveley and Drouhin for less, but at 10$ I think I would buy this on occasion. It seemed like perfectly honest Pinot. And there is always a use for such on my table.

Is this considered a mediocre producer? CellarTracker only had one note on this wine and it was far from positive. But I have always liked bad wine, lol!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: WTN: A nice, cheap(?) Oregon Pinot Noir

by ChefJCarey » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:52 pm

It's probably not bad wine. I posted a list (I think?) here a while back with several dozen Oregon producers who are able to put out very drinkable pinots for under $30.00. A local winery here makes one that retails for $6.99.

Firesteed started in Seattle and now has an actual winery and tasting room a fee miles south of me here. West of Salem.

As to the light color - typical for a 2007 from Oregon. It was a tough year for the grapes and required a lot of skill on the part of winemakers. I've probably tasted near 100 2007 Oregon pinot noirs. Nearly all have that light color.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:02 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:As to the light color - typical for a 2007 from Oregon.

Light colour wasn't a criticism from me - rather the opposite. Too often dark colour in a Pinot Noir indicates a wine that is spoofulated, so I was very pleased to see such a light hue.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm

You deduced correctly that Firesteed isn't held in particularly high esteen, but it does have a rep for being 'decent' for the money--as you put it so well, perfectly adequate. It shows up on a lot of restaurant by-the-glass lists.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:45 pm

I've had a few Firesteed wines, and all were pretty good to me. Especially since that's my preferred price range...
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:I've had a few Firesteed wines, and all were pretty good to me. Especially since that's my preferred price range...

Have to admit that I remember and tend to judge Firesteed by their introductory wines in the early 90's, which weren't all that hot I have to tell you. But it was a novelty in that it was even then a $10 wine and ten dollar pinots were about as scarce Dolly Partons at a nunnery. The only, and I mean ONLY, competition in that grape was produced by Duck Pond, which immediately acquired the name Duck Pee. Those wines have improved too, but back then they deserved it, believe me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:00 am

As mentionned before there is now a $7 Oregon Pinot Noir from Stone wolf called Rascal 2007. It actually smells and tastes like Pinot Noir. When I first tastyed it I figured it would be $10-12. Still, you don't hit much until about $16. There are now getting to be some very good ones from $16-20. The Firesteed here is $14.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:03 pm

michael dietrich wrote:As mentionned before there is now a $7 Oregon Pinot Noir from Stone wolf called Rascal 2007. It actually smells and tastes like Pinot Noir. When I first tastyed it I figured it would be $10-12. Still, you don't hit much until about $16. There are now getting to be some very good ones from $16-20. The Firesteed here is $14.

Michael, what can you tell me about Beran? A few weeks ago I purchased a bottle of their 05 Dijon clone and loved it, thought it was a great buy for $25, and am currently hunting for more at that price.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:25 pm

I am off work today. I will check to see whether or not it is stii available here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:40 pm

michael dietrich wrote:I am off work today. I will check to see whether or not it is stii available here.

Don't look! Actually found some with a distributor in Seattle. I only meant to say that I was THAT impressed with it. Had never heard of this producer before, though.