The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Noland Brothers + do Spanish reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN Noland Brothers + do Spanish reds

by Tom N. » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:55 pm

Noland Brothers: Bob, James, Tom + Renee (no notes just votes) Blind Spanish Red Tasting

Food with tasting: Manchego cheese, Cheese fruit spread with blue cheese, cheddar cheese, cranberries, raisins, and nuts.

Wine A

Medium garnet red. Plummy nose with acetone and raisins followed by a touch of spice. Nice spicy ripe to overripe fruit (prunes) and nice acidity on the midpalate. Bob-slightly out of balance. Finish a bit short and simple with acidic overripe fruit.

With food: Good with Manchego just OK with fruit spread.

Wine B

Medium garnet red but less color than A. Nose of oaky plums with a hint of red raspberries. Midpalate of pretty red fruit, especially big tannins and good acidity. A medium finish of acidic fruit that tends to shut down because of big tannins and acidity. Bob – Creamy dark fruits. Starts to open up a bit on second taste and shows red currants but still big. May need more time.

With food: This wine needs food. Tasty with manchego. Even better with cheese fruit spread and James thinks this wine is its best match. Brings out the fruit taste in the spread.

Wine C

Medium garnet red a bit darker than B but lighter than A. Most interesting nose of the wines with slightly earthy and spicy dark fruit and cloves. Balanced midpalate of smooth tannins, luscious blackberry fruit, and juicy acidity. Medium long finish of acidic black cherry fruit. Bob – Soapy aspect to the nose with some fruit just hovering underneath. Nice balance but a little shy.

With food: Best match with Manchego. Really nice match with the cheese fruit spread as it brings out the ripe fruit in the wine.

Wine D.

Deep garnet red, darkest wine of the group. Best nose that sends sensations of earthy fruit (especially blueberries) leather and a hint of oaks. Wonderful bass notes in this wine’s aromatics. Great balance of earthy black raspberries, nice acidity and smooth tannins. A long balanced finish of rich dark fruit, refreshing acidity, and tingly tannins. Bob – earthy nose with saddle leather. Second try a beautiful evolving non-typical nose with depth.

With food: Manchego enhances the fruit in this wine making for a really nice match. Not a good match with the fruit cheese spread as the wine turns acidic.
Voting based on just initial tasting:

Tom: #1 Wine D, #2 Wine C (close second), #3 Wine B, #4 Wine A
Bob: #1 Wine D, #2 Wine C (close second), #3 Wine B, #4 Wine A
James: #1 Wine C, #2 Wine D, #3 Wine B (almost tied with D), #4 Wine A
Renee: #1 Wine C, #2 Wine D, #3 Wine B, #4 Wine A

Best overall by tasting: Tie of Wine D and Wine C based on a two 1st place and 2nd place votes for each, wine B second, wine A last.

With Food:

Wine D 1st (3 first place votes, one 2nd) Wine C 2nd, Wine B 3rd, and Wine A last.

Wines revealed:

Wine A: 2005 Rioja Crianza, Conde 13.5% abv Renee's wine.

Wine B: 2001 Rioja Reserva, Ontanon 13% abv 95% Tempranillo 5% Graciano 24 months in oak, My wine.

Wine C: 2005 Jumilla, Pico Madama 14% abv 50% Monastrell 50% Petit Verdot Bob's wine.

Wine D. 2006 Almansa, Loma Gorda Old Vines with 65% Garanacha and 35% Syrah 13% abv James’ wine. The Spanish wine king of the Noland Brothers.

All but wine A were very good to excellent. Wine A was good but bit overripe and simple and just paled in comparison with the other wines.
Last edited by Tom N. on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

Re: WTN Noland Brother + do Spanish reds

by Victor de la Serna » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:29 pm

I find it extremely annoying that some wineries in Spain's Almansa and Jumilla appellations are mentioning on their back labels (on bottles sold on the US market, I should add) that the blend (or 100% of the wine, at times) contains "garnacha". This is misleading and borderline fraudulent. "Garnacha" is grenache. Yet there aren't any grenache vineyards in Almansa and onloy tiny surfaces in Jumilla. These wines don't have any grenache in them - the real component is "garnacha tintorera" - i.e., alicante bouschet or, in common Californian usage, alicante.

A note: I have absolutely nothing against either grenache or alicante bouschet, as shown by the fact I grow both varieties and both are part of the blend of one of my wines at Finca Sandoval. (We may be the only winery in Spain using both these related grape varieties.) I love both, each for its own best qualities. What I am against is misleading the consumer.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:I find it extremely annoying that some wineries in Spain's Almansa and Jumilla appellations are mentioning on their back labels (on bottles sold on the US market, I should add) that the blend (or 100% of the wine, at times) contains "garnacha". This is misleading and borderline fraudulent. "Garnacha" is grenache. Yet there aren't any grenache vineyards in Almansa and onloy tiny surfaces in Jumilla. These wines don't have any grenache in them - the real component is "garnacha tintorera" - i.e., alicante bouschet or, in common Californian usage, alicante.

A note: I have absolutely nothing against either grenache or alicante bouschet, as shown by the fact I grow both varieties and both are part of the blend of one of my wines at Finca Sandoval. (We may be the only winery in Spain using both these related grape varieties.) I love both, each for its own best qualities. What I am against is misleading the consumer.

Victor, why not speak your mind? I know you aren't bashful! :-) BTW, I am in 100% agreement with your "tell it like it is" philosophy. Another BTW,,, I am taking an '01 and '02 Finca Sandoval syrahs to Mo'Cool this year. Sure would be nice if you sneaked in to tell us about them,
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:30 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:I find it extremely annoying that some wineries in Spain's Almansa and Jumilla appellations are mentioning on their back labels (on bottles sold on the US market, I should add) that the blend (or 100% of the wine, at times) contains "garnacha". This is misleading and borderline fraudulent. "Garnacha" is grenache. Yet there aren't any grenache vineyards in Almansa and onloy tiny surfaces in Jumilla. These wines don't have any grenache in them - the real component is "garnacha tintorera" - i.e., alicante bouschet or, in common Californian usage, alicante.

Hi Victor,

This is news to us. Thanks for the note. The reason that my brother Bob and I finally chose the Almansa wine over the Jumilla one was its expressive nose that had what I call "bass notes" of fragrance. This nose was the best of all the wines and it was very expressive and layered. Does alicante normally have such an expressive nose? or was it the blend?
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.