The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2007 Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:48 am

2007 Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva Colchagua Valley 14.0%
Nine months spent in a uterus of American and French oak. I expected to hate this, but didn't. Maybe I just wanted to feel virtuous by not behaving like an ideological fanatic. Or maybe my expectations were conditioned by the zero expense (this was a gift). Fact is, two smallish pours of this went down quite well with dinner.

Aromas of ripe plums and blackberries, amplified by coffee and cocoa in the mouth, where it is jammy, with a sweetish finish. But tannins are quite pleasantly grainy, with a lightness that belies the grain in grainy. The acid is deficient, but there is a curiously pleasant bitterness that performs the role of acidity with transvestite aplomb. Alcohol does not taste excessive and the oak is discreet. Not a style I'd buy but, by golly, it wasn't offensive.

Marcia was dead set against it, having been totally won over by the mantra of acid/sweet balance (which I normally subscribe to). But my vanity, perhaps, was fed by not prejudging it too much and feeling humble enough to learn something from it. And what I learned, I think, is that in the search for balance in red wine, acid/sweet may be the primary, but isn't the only player. In a white wine, acid/sweet is probably imperative, but in a red, tannins and bitterness can, in certain (perhaps rare) circumstances, compensate for acid deficiency enough to establish sufficient balance between the yin and the yang.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2007 Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon

by Jenise » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:33 pm

The acid is deficient, but there is a curiously pleasant bitterness that performs the role of acidity with transvestite aplomb.

Enormously entertaining description. Do I correctly presume you'd be a blast to play Charades with?

Appreciate your fairness. The chardonnay equivalent--purchased at an American chain drug store for less than $4, I was told--was once brought to dinner by a non-geek friend. Rather than have it embarrass itself at dinner, I served it with the artichoke course because every foodie knows that nothing goes with artichokes, right? Well hush my mouth!--therein was born my belief, not budged since, that cheap oaky low-acid chardonnay is actually a great match for artichokes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:30 am

Jenise wrote:Do I correctly presume you'd be a blast to play Charades with?

I think I would be if my memory weren't swiss cheese! :D

Said memory now trying to locate a movie where Meg Ryan (with perhaps Billy Crystal) plays Charades, not to mention the Cary Grant/Audrey Hepburn movie of the same name...

Good tip on the artichoke/chardonnay match!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:51 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:

Said memory now trying to locate a movie where Meg Ryan (with perhaps Billy Crystal) plays Charades, not to mention the Cary Grant/Audrey Hepburn movie of the same name...

Indeed it was Billy Crystal, and the movie was When Harry Met Sally.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:45 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:

Oswaldo, I understand from Otto that artichoke soup is the perfect match for white Musar!