The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines with Bottle Shock

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Wines with Bottle Shock

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:22 am

A few of the guys got together to drink wine, eat pizza and finally catch the movie Bottle Shock.

2000 St. Innocent Brut
Very pleasant. It's fruity, perhaps a little sweeter than I prefer, but overall very drinkable & refreshing.

2003 Albert Boxler Riesling Sommerberg
Somewhat round in texture as one would expect from the vintage, and lacking in that extra bit of focus to make it excellent, but the texture is very velvety and the fruit quite rich and touched with spice. Yes it's a touch flabby, perhaps even flat, but there's something about the depth that keeps pulling me back in.

2000 Robert Chevillon Nuits St Georges Les Cailles
Not a profound Burgundy by any means, but very aromatic, medium bodied and nearly mature which is a rarity for a Nuits of this class IME. I enjoyed this very much.

1998 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon Estate
Had to have a Montelena while watching bottle shock. Spencer & Eli made some strange faces when they first tried it, so I was wondering if they found it corked, but no it just had some funk and a touch of green (a '98 after all), but underneath there was a delicious streak of black cherry fruit. The balance was good & the wine opened up quickly. I only had a few ounces, yet the bottle disappeared, so I guess Spencer & Eli thought it got better too.

There was also an inexpensive Alsatian Riesling that was pretty nice (good QPR) and an interesting Spanish wine from Mencia that I did not get the name of. The Spanish wine went the best with the pizza.

Anyway, the movie is ok. Alan Rickman seems like a total drunk in the role of Stephen Spurrier, and we really didn't get the whole Gustavo storyline, but it was fun to watch. We tried to do a drinkign game where every time they said terroir we had ot drink, but they only say it once in the whole film.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: Wines with Bottle Shock

by Mark Lipton » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:56 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:1998 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon Estate
Had to have a Montelena while watching bottle shock. Spencer & Eli made some strange faces when they first tried it, so I was wondering if they found it corked, but no it just had some funk and a touch of green (a '98 after all), but underneath there was a delicious streak of black cherry fruit. The balance was good & the wine opened up quickly. I only had a few ounces, yet the bottle disappeared, so I guess Spencer & Eli thought it got better too.

Good to hear about this, David. I have a couple of bottles of it that I bought at the winery years ago. That day, tasted alongside the '97 and '99, it was clearly the more interesting wine, with lots of herbal, leafy character to complement the fruit. That was an object lesson for me in vintage generalizations. How much more life do you see ahead for it?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:32 pm

The wines must have put you in a good mood, because I saw this on an airplane a few months ago and found it absolutely awful, even for free! I thought the Spurrier character abysmal, as was the reenactment of the Judgment of Paris (though who knows what that was like...).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:38 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:1998 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon Estate
How much more life do you see ahead for it?

Several more years, though I might catch one now, as it is very drinkable.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:The wines must have put you in a good mood, because I saw this on an airplane a few months ago and found it absolutely awful, even for free! I thought the Spurrier character abysmal, as was the reenactment of the Judgment of Paris (though who knows what that was like...).

Was it a great movie? No way in hell. I tried not to take it very seriously though & in that light it was good fun.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:07 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2000 Robert Chevillon Nuits St Georges Les Cailles
...nearly mature which is a rarity for a Nuits of this class IME...

Really? I didn't think Les Cailles was one of the 'top' Premier Crus in Nuits so wouldn't have thought that it took an exceptionally long time to mature. Is it usually very backwards?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:08 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I saw this on an airplane a few months ago and found it absolutely awful, even for free..

Tough critic! I also saw it on an airplane and found it fun and acceptable for passing the time, although certainly nothing I would go out of my way to watch during Prime Serious Viewing time..
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:29 pm

I find almost all Nuits backwards compared to say Vosne or Chambolle.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I find almost all Nuits backwards compared to say Vosne or Chambolle.

Yes, ok, but that doesn't mean they never mature! I think..
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:02 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I find almost all Nuits backwards compared to say Vosne or Chambolle.

Yes, ok, but that doesn't mean they never mature! I think..

True, but I believe they are the slowest.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:25 am

David M. Bueker wrote:... and we really didn't get the whole Gustavo storyline, but it was fun to watch. We tried to do a drinkign game where every time they said terroir we had ot drink, but they only say it once in the whole film.

I don't think 'terroir' was an 'in' word seven years on from Woodstock. And Gustavo - with Freddy Rodriguez playing him - he was there as eye candy for the girls. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:47 pm

Okay, so after getting a bust with 'terroir', now that you've seen the whole film is there another word which would have made a better drinking game?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:22 pm

Jenise wrote:Okay, so after getting a bust with 'terroir', now that you've seen the whole film is there another word which would have made a better drinking game?

Montelena!