The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Checking out a couple of the '08 Leitz Rieslings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Checking out a couple of the '08 Leitz Rieslings

by Salil » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:42 am

Opened a couple of bottles of Leitz's 08 releases with dinner tonight. Both were quite awesome, particularly the Klosterlay Kabinett. I'm really loving the '08 German Rieslings from what I've had so far - they certainly don't have the fruit density and richness of the '07s, but there's an acid-driven energy and focus to the wines I've had so far that has me hooked, and the two Kabinetts I've had from this vintage (the other being '08 Christoffel Treppchen) have been really brilliant wines.

2008 Josef Leitz Rüdesheimer Drachenstein Riesling "Dragonstone"
Another awesome Dragonstone - much lighter than it's been in the last few years, but really refreshing and great to drink with bright pear, green apple and citrus fruit flavours, hints of orange blossom and minerals and plenty of acidity underneath. Really good length with just a little sweetness; look forward to drinking more of this.

2008 Josef Leitz Rüdesheimer Klosterlay Riesling Kabinett
Really lovely with intense minty herbal notes over lime, pear and green apple flavours and a bed of minerals beneath. Very clear and focused in the mouth with racy, mouthwatering acidity that gives the fruit incredible freshness and razor-sharp precision, finishing long with the minty notes leaving a cool, refreshing sensation on the back end. I need to buy more of this!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Checking out a couple of the '08 Leitz Rieslings

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:56 am

Sounds good. I haven't had any 2008 German rieslings but will definitely be looking for them once they hit the shelves here in the States.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:19 pm

Good to have some 2008 notes coming in. I will be keeping an eye out for the early releases myself.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:51 am

Salil Benegal wrote: and the two Kabinetts I've had from this vintage (the other being '08 Christoffel Treppchen) have been really brilliant wines.

Your notes are enticing. Is the vintage expected to produce great things? I haven't been following the press.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:45 am

No - it's not being talked up as a 'great' vintage (that line was just brought out recently for the '07s ;)). From what I've heard from more informed friends who recently tasted in Germany it's a relatively light vintage with higher acidity than what we've seen in the last few years, and the wines are generally weaker/fewer at the higher pradikats (Auslese+), whereas there's a lot of really good Kabinett/Spatlese.

So far I've bought a few of the lighter wines (Leitz/Christoffel Kabinett and Leitz QBA) that have been gorgeous with an acid-driven freshness and lightness I loved and I'll probably focus my buying this year in those areas/the lower pradikats - helps that there are still plenty of richer Auslese from the last few years on the market still if I need sweeter wines.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:11 am

The consensus I have seen/heard is similar to Salil's, with the wines best purpose being near term drinking. They can probably age, but why bother.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:52 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:From what I've heard from more informed friends who recently tasted in Germany it's a relatively light vintage with higher acidity than what we've seen in the last few years, and the wines are generally weaker/fewer at the higher pradikats (Auslese+), whereas there's a lot of really good Kabinett/Spatlese.

That's exactly what I found, at least in the Nahe Valley examples. The term everyone is using is 'classic' or 'traditional' vintage - that is, not the rich, ripe vintages like almost every year in the 2000s except 2004.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:59 pm

I might throw 2001 & 2002 in there with 2004 John. In fact I think 2001 is the most recent great AND classic vintage. I hope it's not the last.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:34 pm

This summer I have returned after visiting Germany in May and June and a chance to taste the '08 vintage from a number of producers in the Mosel, Ruwer, Nahe, Rheingau, Mittelrhein, and Franken. The greatest producers were very enthusiastic about the quality of the lower Prädikat wines of Kabinett and Spätlese, which for the most part in '08 actually fall within the prescribed Oechsle range. They are especially enthusiastic in Franken where they generally prize a high acid vintage such as this. Most everyone seems to be ready to drop their prices a bit to encourage sales this year as well. The overall consensus is of a vintage that truly shows the disparity of terroir and the finished wines tasted fantastic.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:22 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Most everyone seems to be ready to drop their prices a bit to encourage sales this year as well..

Really? How did they get so reasonable!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Plummeting sales tend to do that to people Rahsaan.

I still see a lot of top class 2007 (and 2006, 2005) wines on the shelves. Things are not selling the way they used to.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:35 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I still see a lot of top class 2007 (and 2006, 2005) wines on the shelves. Things are not selling the way they used to.

Now that you mention it, that is true. There's just too much good wine out there. Now if the Burgundians would only follow suit!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I still see a lot of top class 2007 (and 2006, 2005) wines on the shelves. Things are not selling the way they used to.

Now that you mention it, that is true. There's just too much good wine out there. Now if the Burgundians would only follow suit!

You crazy dreamer. :D