The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Dobbs Pinot Noir "Quailhurst"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2006 Dobbs Pinot Noir "Quailhurst"

by Jenise » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:34 pm

Last year, we were dining at Nick's in McMinneville and our waiter, unsure of our experience level, asked what kind of wine I was in the mood for. I said, "I want a wine I'll wake up thinking about." That immediately put our conversation on a whole new plane, and he said "Then you have to get the 2004 Dobbs Quailhurst." Then he added, "If you can afford it." I believe it was $125 on their menu.

We choked but went for it anyway, and indeed the wine was ethereal. Highly aromatic and complex in a Burgundian way showing the light, deft touch of the winemaker. So a friend recently asked for reccos for her two day stay in McMinneville, and I recounted that story to her. A few days later, a bottle of the 06 arrived in the mail.

Unfortunately, I can see no trace of what I loved about the 04 in the 06. It was a decent bottle to be sure, but it's not multi-faceted like it's older sister, and there's a tart veneer of extraction on it that seems to block what might be the better signals. Needs more time to realize what potential it does have (we decanted for an hour), but there's little here to justify the $70ish price tag.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: WTN: 2006 Dobbs Pinot Noir "Quailhurst"

by ChefJCarey » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:38 pm

Try the Remy next time you're at Nick's. (She actually works in the restaurant, too).

And Jenise, think how much time you'll add the fruitful areas of your existence when you finally start leaving the "e" out of the middle of McMinnville...
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: WTN: 2006 Dobbs Pinot Noir "Quailhurst"

by ChefJCarey » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT