The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:2007 Pyramid Valley Orton Vineyard Hawkes Bay Gewurz, NZ

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am

Brisbane Australia

WTN:2007 Pyramid Valley Orton Vineyard Hawkes Bay Gewurz, NZ

by Andrew Burge » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:54 am

$A51 is a bucketload of cash for a gewurz from NZ, and it’s a lot for an experiment too. This wine is both.

This vineyard was apparently ripped up just after this fruit was picked. Shame really, this is a quirky, interesting beast that deserves some contemplation. The first thing to notice is the bottle, an a tall heavy alsace shape, with a small punt in it. The next thing is that the wine is cloudy. I understand the proprietor, Mike Weersing, is a fan of wild yeasts, no cold stabilisation and all things natural and good. I hadn't even smelled it and it was quirky already. So onto the smell, which is all about apple cider. Sweet, spicy and interesting. maybe musky, maybe lychees, but definitely apple cider. damn, tastes like apple cider too with some lifted aromatics over its oily, almost creamily textured palate. Gewurz it is, and almost devoid of acid, but its phenolics make it interesting along with its fruit flavours. I couldn’t recommend this for ageing, but served with pork and apple sauce or middle eastern cuisine (like my wife's fabulous Chicken Tagine) it is a winner. The 14.5% will slow you down but not stop you completely.

Cheers

Andrew
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: WTN:2007 Pyramid Valley Orton Vineyard Hawkes Bay Gewurz, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Interesting to read your note, Andrew, but this is expensive at the price especially for a cloudy wine that you say tastes like apple cider and will not cellar. Translated back to NZ dollars, using the exhange rate I was given on a recent foray to Australia, that makes it about NZ$69 a bottle. If I was going to spend that much, I rather go for Dry River or Vinoptima's VT style. At least we know they cellar.

Actually it costs only $30 a bottle in NZ (from the Pyramid Valley website) so someone on your side of the ditch has made on both exchange rate and markup.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:34 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:Actually it costs only $30 a bottle in NZ (from the Pyramid Valley website) so someone on your side of the ditch has made on both exchange rate and markup.

Cheers,
Sue

Do Pyramid Valley qualify for WET exemption? If not then that might account for some of the difference.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Probably. I had to look it up but it says
"To be eligible for the (WET) producer rebate, you must:
produce wine in New Zealand that is (or is likely to be) exported to Australia, and
be approved as a New Zealand participant."

It sounds like it is a matter of filling in the right forms.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Andrew Burge wrote:The first thing to notice is the bottle, an a tall heavy alsace shape

Is that rare for gewurztraminer from New Zealand?
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Andrew Burge wrote:The first thing to notice is the bottle, an a tall heavy alsace shape

Is that rare for gewurztraminer from New Zealand?

I'm not sure about the heavy, but many GW producers here use a tall bottle. The wines I've seen from Alsace have not been in memorably extra heavy bottles, btw.