The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Modern Bdx satellite and classy Chassagne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Modern Bdx satellite and classy Chassagne

by Dale Williams » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Thursday we grilled porterhouses and squash, and had for dinner along with a couple of king crab legs, potatos salad, and the 2004 La Fleur de Bouard (Lalande de Pomerol). Betsy had gotten the crab on a whim, we had that first with some leftover Cazin Cour-Cheverny (held up nicely after 2 days). With the steak, the La Fleur De Bouard did well. Thick/rich blackberry fruit with a lot of vanilla, firm tannins, low acidity. I don't mind an occasional super-modern Bordeaux, and this certainly is in that category (actually I do mind if priced high, but this was $20-25). I don't directly equate ability to sit overnight with potential longevity, but it can give a bit of information, so I'll note leftover 40% bottle (corked but not refrigerated) was pruney/caramelized enough I put in vinegar jar next night. Personally, not sure much to be gained by aging this. B

More $4/lb lobster, so Betsy bought a few, made a lemony mayonaise, and assembled lobster rolls. With asparagus and grilled sweet potato salad, and the 2006 Bernard Morey "Les Embrazees" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er. Really nice midweight white Burg, fresh Bosc pears drizzled with lemon juice, framed by clean bright acidity. Good length, some mineral on finish, there's some noticable vanilla/oak but within my personal limits. Fresh, bright, nice. I'd really like to age some of this, to let the oak integrate a bit more, but always a worry these days. What to do? Anyway, I enjoyed at this young age, will monitor other reports to see if I need to drink young. Not a producer I really know (when I ordered I thought it was a Louis-Dressner import, but turns out it's Vineyard Brands). B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: WTN: Modern Bdx satellite and classy Chassagne

by Matt Richman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:59 pm

You have more modern Bordeaux than I thought.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Modern Bdx satellite and classy Chassagne

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:38 pm

Matt Richman wrote:You have more modern Bordeaux than I thought.

I actually have quite a few. For LFDB, I think I bought at least one bottle of the first 8 vintages (98-05). Plus I buy some other new styled satellite wines, and am often happy. But once I cross the $30 mark I for the most part think afterwards "I'd have rather had a Canon/Barton/Lagrange/Figeac/Magdelaine." But I do own a few Confessions/Decesses/BPasteurs.

See you next week!