The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN-Beth's 2009 Gewurzathon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Harry Cantrell

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm

WTN-Beth's 2009 Gewurzathon

by Harry Cantrell » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Beth Sheligo yearly hosts a Gewurzathon-that’s right all Gewurztraminer all the time. She cooks a dinner purposely designed to go with Gewurz’s unique properties. (Lovingly nicknamed by Arthur Johnson ‘Gewurz till it hurts’.) These are my notes, such as they are.

1-2007 Darting Durkheimer Nonnengarten Gewurztraminer Kabinett A welcome wine. Pale yellow. Nose on the more spicy side of Gewurz. Taste was mild, mellow, balanced, a Spatlese level of sweetness. Delish and a nice way to start off. 90/100

This flight started the dinner

2-2006 Kofererhof Alto Adige Pale color. Nose changed over its time in the glass. From a pale watered down Gewurz spice to a whiff of coffee to even a Bretty-shit hint. Watered down taste as well. Nothing horribly off, just nothing spectacular. 85/100

3-2003 Gerard Weinkorn Domaine de l’Oriel Sommerberg Gold. Nose showed oxidation, caramel, and butter. Taste was of a medium aged non-descript white wine. NR flawed. Too bad. A producer we don’t see around these parts.

4-2005 Cantina Terlan Alto Adige-Sudtirol Lunare.
This was presented as a mystery wine. Guesses were all over the globe, I think Joe Huber called it Northern Italy. Pale yellow. Nose seemed to have a heavy char component that blew off with airing. (I have no idea about this seeing any oak.) Tended more to the drier side, with a stronger Gewurz bitterness on the end. Interesting, but I would like a little sweetness to counter the bitter. 86/100

5-2004 Bott Freres Reserve Personelle Again a pale yellow. Nose was on the slightly thin side. Taste was mild, could pick this as Gewurz, but did not interest me tonight. 86/100

Next a Furstentum Flight-a step up from the previous flight

6-2002 Paul Blanck V.V. Golden yellow. Honeyed richness of the nose. Shows its age. As it aired it opened oddly, such that I suspected a hint of oxidation. Medium rich, medium sweet, bitterness on the finish. Drink up! 89/100

7-2002 Albert Mann V.V. Pale gold. Nose was Gewurztraminer plus. Rich, full, lychee, rose. Taste was moderately sweet, mouthfilling. Best so far. 93/100

8-2005 Albert Mann V.V. Pale yellow. Nose was young, a hint of tar, rose, lychee. Taste came off sweeter than the others-this is the effect of youth perhaps? Nice, rich, mouthcoating. Very good now, perhaps better with a few years. 92/100

Now a flight of heavy hitters, and the best flight of the night

9-1994 Zind Humbrecht Winzenheim Gold. Nose comes off younger than its real age. Rose, licorice in the nose. Taste was all Gewurz with an anise touch at the end. YUM! 93/100

10-2002 Weinbach Cuvee Theo Gold. Nose of lychee, screams Gewurz. Taste was drier than the ZHs, but still with slight sweetness. Taste was lasting, touch bitter finish, but quite nice. 92/100

11-1992 Zind Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Gold. Nose was Lychee and licorice. Taste was drier than others, but the taste was lychee and a hint of bitter, anise. Drink up. 91/100

12-1994 Zind Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Pale Gold. This wine has been a winner in past dinners, and this again held up its title and was my regular (not dessert) WOTN. Beautiful nose of rose, lychee and licorice. Balanced mouth of sweetness, richness, mouth filling, lychee, nice acid lift, hint of licorice on the end. A great showing of a wine that seemed to be turning the age corner in past bottles, not this one. Wonderful! 95/100

Another round, richer, heading toward dessert.

13-2004 Zind Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Pale gold. Gold. Rich, full, rose, lychee nose. Taste was moderately sweet, moderately rich, mouth filling. Nose opened and opened with time. 92/100

14-2005 Weinbach Furstentum VT. Pale yellow. Spicy side of Gewurz in the nose, with cinnamon, cardamom and citrus. Mouth was sweet, full, young. Needs time. 93/100

15-1994 Zind Humbrecht Hengst VT. Gold. Nose was lychee and licorice. Taste was the same taken up a notch. Moderate sweetness that lasted and lasted. Just wonderful. My dessert WOTN and points winner. 96/100

Lastly, the real dessert wines.

16-2007 Carmel Single Vineyard Late Harvest Sha’al. Pale yellow. Nose was very floral, spring flowers. Taste was rich, sweet young, good. My first experience with an Israeli dessert wine and it showed very well. 93/100

17-2002 Kent Rasmussen LH Gold. Nose was Gewurz with a little hint of medicine (?). Sweet, but the bitter Gewurz finish was too much and seemingly a touch out of balance. 91/100

18-William Selyem LH (My notes don’t have a year-Help!) Deep gold. Mild Gewurz nose with a hint of carrots (!) Rich sweet mouth with good acid, but with continued airing fell apart in the glass. Final score 90/100

Again, a wonderful night with a wonderful hostess and wonderful guests. A personal highlight of the year. Thanks again, Beth!
Harry C.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN-Beth's 2009 Gewurzathon

by Salil » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:33 am

Very cool dinner, Harry. Some of those wines sound really stunning, particularly the Manns and the ZHs. What dishes were served with the wines - any particularly good matches?
no avatar
User

Harry Cantrell

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm

by Harry Cantrell » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:43 am

Salil, Beth is a big proponent of "orange" food with Gewurz. What that means is foods that are naturally orange in color. She was at a disadvantage this year as a major storm ran right through her neighborhood the day before and knocked out her power for 12 hours! Trooper that she is, she managed to pull off some wonderful dishes. From memory: Pumpkin soup with sour cream and crystallized ginger-it neither helped nor hurt the first flight as those wines weren't showing the best. 2-A chicken dish with an less sweet apricot sauce, cornbread and glazed carrots (I am not doing this justice, but this was the highlight matching with the next 2 flights.) Multiple cheeses next. Then her famous peach pound cake with the dessert wines. All in all, a very good night and not a single hot (spicy) dish to be found. Bravo! And what I have learned through the years, if you want to "win" the night, bring a ZH VT with a little age!
Harry C.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:14 am

Harry Cantrell wrote:Salil, Beth is a big proponent of "orange" food with Gewurz. What that means is foods that are naturally orange in color. She was at a disadvantage this year as a major storm ran right through her neighborhood the day before and knocked out her power for 12 hours! Trooper that she is, she managed to pull off some wonderful dishes. From memory: Pumpkin soup with sour cream and crystallized ginger-it neither helped nor hurt the first flight as those wines weren't showing the best. 2-A chicken dish with an less sweet apricot sauce, cornbread and glazed carrots (I am not doing this justice, but this was the highlight matching with the next 2 flights.) Multiple cheeses next. Then her famous peach pound cake with the dessert wines. All in all, a very good night and not a single hot (spicy) dish to be found. Bravo! And what I have learned through the years, if you want to "win" the night, bring a ZH VT with a little age!

Sounds like a fantastic menu, interesting to hear about the 'orange' food combination idea - that's something I'd like to try myself the next time I'm opening a Gewurz. I was curious whether she had prepared any Indian/Chinese/Thai dishes as I've found some of those to be very good matches with sweeter Gewurz. And re. the ZH VTs, I'm already convinced - one of the most amazing food/wine combinations I've experienced was a bottle of '98 ZH Heimbourg VT with a chicken biryani (could be considered semi-orange, btw - there's a fair bit of turmeric/chilli in there and a lot of saffron ;)).

On an aside the Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminers (when 'on' and not massively gloppy or alcoholic) are some of the most amazing wine experiences I've had - recollect a bottle of the '89 Herrenweg Gewurz at a Grand Sichuan wine dinner a few months back that had the most enthralling aromatics I've come across in a wine - literally rosewater-essence.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:15 am

Sounds like yet another fantastic Gewurz-a-thon. Laura and I really enjoyed the one we were able to attend several years ago where (surprise) Mann & ZH stole the show.

I am very pleased to see that the 1994s are still holding up. The '98 ZH wines are truly stunning right now.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:34 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: The '98 ZH wines are truly stunning right now.

Nice to hear. I was in fact just two days ago staring at two ZH wines I have, a 98 and a 96, wondering when in the heck to open them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:55 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:one of the most amazing food/wine combinations I've experienced was a bottle of '98 ZH Heimbourg VT with a chicken biryani (could be considered semi-orange, btw - there's a fair bit of turmeric/chilli in there and a lot of saffron ;))

Sounds good. Although for my own tastes I can imagine that dish working with more turmeric and less chili/saffron, both of which can be difficult with wine from my experiences.

Otherwise, this tasting sounds like fun and a great way to showcase the diverse styles of Gerwurztraminer, a grape that often gets typecasted as only offering one narrow profile.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:17 pm

Rahsaan - I am not (yet) sure of the exact spice ratios that were in the biryani, but trust me, it was one of the most sublime food/wine matches ever.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:42 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Rahsaan - I am not (yet) sure of the exact spice ratios that were in the biryani, but trust me, it was one of the most sublime food/wine matches ever.

I'm sure it was. And the combination of rich, full-bodied and dry white wines goes very well with a lot of fully-flavored dishes, in my opinion.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Of course it wasn't dry.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Of course it wasn't dry.

Oh yes, I see he mentioned 'sweeter' above. Oh well..