The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Silver Oak Alexander

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: 2001 Silver Oak Alexander

by Jim Grow » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:52 am

Opened this singleton last nite with London Broil and got pretty much what I expected. Time has not mellowed out the oak but there is pleny of nice fruit here if you can get by the oak. Bought a year ago in Ft. Wayne at a high-end grocery store for $28 so figured I could not go too wrong. With about %50 less oak, the black currant fruit would have really shined. It has been quite a few years since I tried one of these and see that nothing has changed in their style.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2001 Silver Oak Alexander

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:23 am

Thanks for the note. So no real integration with age? :(

Maybe I need to gift my two bottles of 2002 Alexander Valley to someone who appreciates the style more :mrgreen:

My hometown is Fort Wayne, by the way. What upscale shop did you buy these at, the new Whole Foods style store on Jefferson?

My mother still lives in St. Joe Township (although my siblings followed me out here!)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: WTN: 2001 Silver Oak Alexander

by Jim Grow » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:58 pm

I bought the Silver Oak at a Scott's Grocery, I think the one at State Street and Coliseum. There is also a Cap-N-Cork in the same strip mall. They were deeply discounting a few of their high-end wines that had not moved. Bought 2 Beringer Res. Chards for $15 each!!! I used to shop at the Belmont Liquor at Harrison downtown but they demolished it and then John Coffman left (he is back now) so I can't shop there anymore. Pickin's are getting a bit slim now.