The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Anne Gros Clos-Vougeot Grand Cru Le Grand Maupertui 1999

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

TN: Anne Gros Clos-Vougeot Grand Cru Le Grand Maupertui 1999

by David Lole » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Bought six of these at release on the strength of some incredibly high ratings/reviews from a number of overseas pundits. Glad now I've held off as long as I did.

Seriously deep nose of oak spice over brooding dark fruits of the forest, some wonderful sappy top notes, delectable Asian spices including a judicious lick of cardamon and some top shelf hung game and truffle notes appearing with extra time in the glass. The medium-bodied palate delivers a superior mouthful of perfectly-wrought dark cherry, sappy pinot fruit with deft structural backbone from the spicy new oak and yet-to-resolve firmish tannins. There's also excellent support from lively, bright acidity and a powerful long dry finish providing a virtual surety that this wine will only get better with at least another 5 years rest and should blossom until 2020. Still holding a very deep ruby/plummy colour with only marginal lightening towards the outer edges, this outstanding Grand Cru pinot noir is all class with plenty of petrol in the tank. 93 points. Drink 2014 - 2020+. 13.5% A/V
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Anne Gros Clos-Vougeot Grand Cru Le Grand Maupertui 1999

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Lovely note David. I have a lonely bottle of the 2001 in the cellar. I think I will let it sit a while longer.
Decisions are made by those who show up