The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent fun wines (Riesling, Scheu, Cote Rotie, bubbles)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Recent fun wines (Riesling, Scheu, Cote Rotie, bubbles)

by Salil » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:05 am

A few highlights from the last week between a farewell dinner with family in Singapore and a couple of casual drinks with a friend in Connecticut.

2004 Ernie Els Limited Release (Stellenbosch, South Africa)
62% Cab Sauv, 24% Merlot with the other 3 red Bdx grapes making the balance. A gift from a close family friend and a really impressive wine that I reckon could hold its own against a lot of top young Bordeaux. Deep purple colour, packed with rich dark fruited flavours, cassis, coal smoke, earth and well integrated oak on the nose and palate. Very ripe and concentrated but quite well balanced with chewy tannins and surprising acidity underneath the fruit. Long, savoury finish.

2001 C.H. Berres Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese
Drinking very nicely now with a surprisingly advanced nose showing intense petrol and smoky elements over pear and green apple fruit and softer floral notes emerging with air. Very light and gentle in the mouth with a polished texture and flavours of green apple, guava and lemon curd over softer smoky and mineral notes, lots of acidity here with barely perceptible sweetness.

2005 Dönnhoff Norheimer Dellchen Riesling Spätlese
I'm stunned at how well this is drinking right now (although from a very cold cellar) - lots of bright fruit ranging from citrus and apples to mandarin orange and yellow plums and a bed of rocks underneath. There's an incredible precision and lightness to the flavours and a finish that just keeps expanding and seems to keep going on and on. Wow. (So far my favourite 05 Spatlese from Donnhoff, which is saying something given how amazing the whole collection was)

2000 Michel & Stéphane Ogier Côte-Rôtie
Stunning aromatics of blood, leather, violets and earth over gentle red and dark fruited flavours - this is a wine I could have kept smelling all day. The flavours aren't as developed in the mouth with the cherry and plum fruit more dominant and the earth and sauvage elements taking a back seat. Very polished, silken texture with fine tannins and bright acidity. Yum.

N.V. Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Réserve
Served on board Singapore Airlines. A 19 hour flight becomes so much more fun when you've got a good wine to drink. :D Light gold colour with fine, persistent bubbles. Smoky, yeasty nose with toast and biscuit flavours over citrus and pear fruit and hints of hazelnut and almond. There's a lovely creamy richness in the mouth with the almond and hazelnut flavours more prominent over the fruit and biscuit notes and good acidity underneath. Very enjoyable.

2001 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese
Fantastic once again. Still very primary and young but really wonderful with a seamless combination of ripe apple and lime fruit, slate, flowers, honey and vanilla. There's a lovely creaminess in the mouth that gives it an almost pillowy mouthfeel and bright acidity underneath. Incredibly long, expansive finish that leaves streaks of slate-infused limes in the mouth. Not bad for a shabby unstarred wine. ;)

2007 Kurt Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg Scheurebe Beerenauslese
This is fun! Typically insane Scheu aromatics with loads of mango, pineapple, sage and flowers drenched in honey and spices. Ridiculous in the mouth with just about every ripe tropical fruit imaginable (durian excepted!) with honey, sage and other herbal and spicy flavours underneath and an incredible length and persistence to the flavours. I love the Darting sweet wines - and as usual this is a ridiculous value.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Recent fun wines (Riesling, Scheu, Cote Rotie, bubbles)

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:47 am

Nice selection of wines. Now you've got me thinking about the 2005s in the cellar. I might have to open one or two with people who would appreciate them.

I am shocked that the Ernie Els had any backbone at all. It was clearly better than his recent performances on the course.

I wish I could have had some of that Cote Rotie.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:48 am

Nice selection of wines. Now you've got me thinking about the 2005s in the cellar. I might have to open one or two with people who would appreciate them.

I am shocked that the Ernie Els had any backbone at all. It was clearly better than his recent performances on the course.

I wish I could have had some of that Cote Rotie.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:2007 Kurt Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg Scheurebe Beerenauslese
This is fun! Typically insane Scheu aromatics with loads of mango, pineapple, sage and flowers drenched in honey and spices. Ridiculous in the mouth with just about every ripe tropical fruit imaginable (durian excepted!) with honey, sage and other herbal and spicy flavours underneath and an incredible length and persistence to the flavours. I love the Darting sweet wines - and as usual this is a ridiculous value.

As t happens I just bought a 375 of the 2007 Kurt Darting Dürkheimer Fronhof Scheurebe Beerenauslese
I'm hoping the Durian wasn't left out of that one!
My guess is that Scheurebe and BA trump terroir.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:05 am

Charles Weiss wrote:My guess is that Scheurebe and BA trump terroir.

I prefer to think that Darting has vineyards that are great terroirs for sweet wines.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:07 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
Charles Weiss wrote:My guess is that Scheurebe and BA trump terroir.

I prefer to think that Darting has vineyards that are great terroirs for sweet wines.

My point was a guess that the particular grape variety and the BA style would have more impact than the different vineyards of the two different Darting Scheurebe BAs. I've never tasted the Fronhof.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:12 am

At the BA level I think terroir still shows through, especially in recent years where there has not been rampant botrytis, thus most BAs are due to high natural must weights.

TBA is another matter.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:11 am

Charles Weiss wrote:As t happens I just bought a 375 of the 2007 Kurt Darting Dürkheimer Fronhof Scheurebe Beerenauslese
I'm hoping the Durian wasn't left out of that one!
My guess is that Scheurebe and BA trump terroir.
Charles

Turns out my bottle was the Durkheimer Fronhof, not the Ungsteiner Herrenberg.

(Theise's catalog referenced a Herrenberg BA but no Fronhof, so obviously an error somewhere. Or possibly twice as much Scheu BA for everyone.)

Re. Scheu, I've not had enough to see the differences from specific sites - but I get the impression that the grape characteristics trump most things (even BA/TBA) when it's in the right soil. The couple of sweet Scheus I've had - this and the Darting '96 TBA David opened a while back - were the only big dessert wines where the grape was evident straight away and that crazy Scheurebe mango/sage/herbs aromatic character came through, rather than a load of honey and botrytis.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:30 am

Salil Benegal wrote:Turns out my bottle was the Durkheimer Fronhof, not the Ungsteiner Herrenberg.

Salil,
Even better to have your tasting note for the one I have.
Too bad about the lack of Durian though.

Once you're back in new England we should do a duck dinner.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:00 pm

I don't think the lack of durian is a bad thing! ;)

Just got back into New England a couple of days ago - looking forward to some duck and wine in the near future.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:07 pm

Did someone say duck? :mrgreen: