The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Thank you, MoCooligans!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Thank you, MoCooligans!!

by JuliaB » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Another fabulous MoCool goes down in the annals. The organizers work so hard to make this the stellar wine event of the year..and they ALWAYS succeed! A special round of applause for Chef Alan Kerr, Sous Chef Alan Bree and Pastry Chef, Tom Denk. It is impossible to adequately describe in print how phenomenal the food is. Without sound effects, I cannot interject the appropriate moans, swoons, sighs, mmmmmmms, aaahs, and lip smacks.

Of course, one of the highlights of the weekend for me was sleeping with the Nolands! Thanks, Brothers, it was a blast!
In fact, I have a picture that Howie took of Bob Noland (in a very special tee shirt), John Fiola , and ..I'm not sure who that is lurking in the background.

MoCoolJB.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Thank you, MoCooligans!!

by Dave R » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:55 pm

JuliaB wrote:
Of course, one of the highlights of the weekend for me was sleeping with the Nolands! Thanks, Brothers, it was a blast!

OMG! I knew MoCool was kinda wild but I had no idea it would sink into such hedonism and debauchery this year!
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:42 am

Somehow, I don't remember taking that picture. It all seems so vague. :o And yes! Thanks to all who put this together. It was a great weekend, as usual - like a big family picnic, where only your favorite relatives are there, and they all like wine as much as you do.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:45 am

So, Bob N, how was it sleeping with JB?

Do we get more pics or notes?

I really hope to get back next year!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:55 pm

James Roscoe wrote:So, Bob N, how was it sleeping with JB?

Do we get more pics or notes?

I really hope to get back next year!
T

Tasting notes, no problem but I will never MoCool and tell... :wink:
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:07 pm

"Bob Noland

Attaboy..what happens at MoCool...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:19 pm

JuliaB wrote:
"Bob Noland

Attaboy..what happens at MoCool...

Unless money changes hands....
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:53 pm

Last year McCooligans were known to have left hats and cell phones in the van that transported us safely to and from the locales. This year a certain McCooler couldn't remember being reimbursed for paying the van driver. It's good we weren't behind the wheel.

One great moment--three of us non-locals were trying to give the van driver directions to the picnic. His navigation device was offering some other route with roads we had never been on or heard of. Then I noticed the car in front of us had a rear license plate saying "MOCOOL" and I excitedly said "Follow that car!" Yep, it worked.

Thanks, merci, grazie, gracias, danke schoen, etc. to the organizers, hosts, chefs, volunteer workers, and all who contributed to the joie de vie of Mo'Cool.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:32 pm

JuliaB wrote:Another fabulous MoCool goes down in the annals. The organizers work so hard to make this the stellar wine event of the year..and they ALWAYS succeed! A special round of applause for Chef Alan Kerr, Sous Chef Alan Bree and Pastry Chef, Tom Denk. It is impossible to adequately describe in print how phenomenal the food is. Without sound effects, I cannot interject the appropriate moans, swoons, sighs, mmmmmmms, aaahs, and lip smacks.

I agree Julia, the food this year was the best I can ever remember. The 'Goat Roti' was to die for! and the lamb was an excellent match to the syrah! Kudos to the chefs and the organizers. Another great MoCool!
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:41 am

JuliaB wrote: .... I have a picture that Howie took of Bob Noland (in a very special tee shirt), John Fiola , and ..I'm not sure who that is lurking in the background ....

Julia,
I chuckled out loud when I saw the t-shirt.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:53 am

Did you all actually roast a goat? I've done that for wine events!
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:55 am

Why, I never! I would never have hung out with you people had I realized you were so profligate!
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:03 pm

JuliaB wrote:Another fabulous MoCool goes down in the annals.

It was truly a great MoCool, my thanks to everyone involved also. I do appreciate the tireless effort that it takes to put together such a top notch event that comes off without a hitch. I also appreciate the consideration given to the out of towners, you truly make us feel welcome
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:02 pm

Dave R wrote:OMG! I knew MoCool was kinda wild but I had no idea it would sink into such hedonism and debauchery this year!

OK - I've just gotta be there next year!
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
JuliaB wrote: .... I have a picture that Howie took of Bob Noland (in a very special tee shirt), John Fiola , and ..I'm not sure who that is lurking in the background ....

Julia,
I chuckled out loud when I saw the t-shirt.
Cheers,
Sue

Sue, I roared! He completely surprised me with it! (You just have to meet the Noland Brothers!)

JB
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:
Dave R wrote:OMG! I knew MoCool was kinda wild but I had no idea it would sink into such hedonism and debauchery this year!

OK - I've just gotta be there next year!

Yes, Jon and Dave R., you MUST come and take us to a new level. (Notice I didn't say higher or lower 8) )

JB
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:10 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Did you all actually roast a goat? I've done that for wine events!

Actually Chef, Alan Kerr our chef of some years standing and who also has a school in Toronto as well as other gigs. In addition to being a fine chef, he is a wineaux known as Canadian Zinfan on the Gang of Pour web pages. Alan Bree, the sous chef of some renown has in years past performed those duties in other years, but this was his return after an absence of some 6 years. The food was again this year absolutely fantastic, and IMO even matched the wine in quality. During the weekend beginning on Thursday I sipped small sip from IIRC 4 bottles of Rhone red that were 45 years old, and still kicking. Now about the goat, no Alan didn't roast a goat, but rather had a leg or two to make his "Goat Rotie" from. that was actually a goat curry that (again) IMO was fantastic. I have a copy of the menu, and Perhaps I can somehow find a way to get it here online. We had 96 people reserve for the Saturday afternoon/evening "picnic" which is on the smallish turnouts we have had twice that many in some years.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:36 am

Hey, Bob, you know I would have loved to spend that time with you guys.

There are several folks here of whom I'm quite fond. Seems that a bunch of those folks do the MoCool thing.

It's just the dickheads, pompous asses, and buffoons here that get under my skin. :)

Had a great time with Buck and Gail Sunday. We drank some good wine, too. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:03 pm

It's just the dickheads, pompous asses, and buffoons here that get under my skin

Having a rough day chef?
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:46 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Having a rough day chef?

Bob,
You know those are terms of endearment when Chef uses them. 8)

JB
no avatar
User

califusa

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:47 pm

Napa

by califusa » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 pm

MoCool 2009
Theme: Que Syrah Syrah

The dips
Black bean Hummus with sweet red pepper and parsley oil.
Roasted Eggplant puree with Ras al-Hanut and thyme scented pita.
Guacamole with tortilla chips.

The appetizers
Croustade of duck Rilette with orange dust.
Crostini of Prosciutto, grape, figs and goat cheese.
Boudin Noir with sweet onion confit and mustard
Pissaladiere: The pizza of Nice with black olive, onion, Herbs de Provence and Balsamic
Wild mushroom and smoked tomato risotto cakes. “Arancini”
Chorizo Sopas
“Goat Roti”: Mildly spiced Trinidadian goat curry wrapped in Caribbean flat bread
Grilled Flat Iron steak on blue cheese Arepas with Chimichurri sauce

Cheese board
Aged Gouda, Comte, Cantal, Morbier, Humbolt Fog, smoked cheddar, Tomme de Savoie

The main
Grilled Moroccan spiced leg of lamb.
Moughrabie Couscous salad with vegetable Tagine and Harissa
Heirloom tomato and basil scented bocconcini salad
Tossed mesclun greens, frisee, lardons and fried bread
Allan Bree
Napa
www.batonnage.net
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: Some notes on some Syrah, Shiraz and off-theme wines

by JC (NC) » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:40 pm

Food was fabulous. With syrah and shiraz as the theme, the chefs prepared roasted Moroccan-style leg of lamb, a goat curry, and umpteen appetizers including a variation of the popular one last year with prosciutto, fig and goat cheese. There were two huge bowls of guacomole--one mild and one spicy--with varicolored tortilla chips. I believe there was a duck confit and also a cheese plate with Manchego, Cheddar, Comte, etc.
I took the 2006 Babcock Nook and Cranny Syrah, the 2006 Beckmen Vineyards Purisima Mountain Vineyard Syrah Block Six, Santa Ynez Valley, CA and a 2003 Dog Ridge Vineyard MVP Shiraz, McLaren Vale, South Australia.

The Beckmen Purisima Mountain Vineyard Syrah Block Six was listed as 15.2% alcohol (compared to 13.6 for the Babcock Nook and Cranny.) 550 cases produced; 100% Syrah, recommended drinking window is 2013-2016. Grapes are 100% estate-grown. Block Six sits at the top of Purisima reaching up to 1200 feet...a steep limestone-laden hillside planted with clones 174, 373 and Estrella selection. While I liked this, I prefered the Babcock easily. I paid $49.48 which is just pennies less than for the Babcock.

The Dog Ridge MVP Shiraz is their top of the line. Dave Wright oversees the vines and Fred Howard the wines. This is made from the four best barrels of the 2003 vintage. They use modern sustainable viticultural practices in the foothills of McLaren Vale. Dark red color; almost opaque. Balanced and smooth. High-toned fruit. Blueberries and mocha contribute to the flavors. The wine is only imported by a couple companies and is not well known in the USA so I noticed that the bottle was not getting many tasters.

Others I tried: 1997? Lagier-Meredith Syrah, Mount Veeder, Napa Valley (nice, smooth, at its peak); 2002 Dehlinger Goldridge Vineyard Syrah, 1985 Pierre Barge Cote Rotie (red rust color, slight earthiness, I liked this); 1998 Jamet Cote Rotie (some maturity showed but drinking well; magenta color); 1999 Ogier La Rosine (very smooth and polished, pretty scarlet color, one of my favorites); a Delas Crozes Hermitage (didn't note the vintage); 1989 Edmunds St. John Sonoma Valley Syrah (12.5% alcohol, mature coloring, fine sediment, appealing flavor, maybe less robust than on release but still capable of delivering pleasure); 1992 and 1994 Elderton Command Shiraz (both good; slightly prefered the 1992; Mike Brinton bought the 1994 at a bin-end sale for $25 a bottle); a Pax Syrah and a Copain Syrah (didn't get specifics); 1997 Dehlinger Syrah Sonoma (I prefered this to the 2002 Dehlinger); a Rosemount Balmoral Syrah (near the bottom of the bottle and I got some sediment so couldn't really judge.)

Two more that impressed me:

1997 Glen Fiona Syrah, Walla Walla, WA (may have been one of only two Washington State entries) Viscous, dark crimson color, dense and opaque. Dark raspberry on nose and palate. Very mellow. Not terribly complex but enjoyable and food friendly. I had some with the lamb.

2007 Russell Ranch Syrah, Michigan (grapes sourced from elsewhere). Jim Lester, the winemaker of Wyncroft, is very talented. Crimson to purple shading; semi-opaque. Lovely nose. Dark and red berry mix on the palate. A touch of blueberry flavor but subtle enough to enhance, not dominate. Pepper appears on the finish. Would probably be terrific with the Moroccan-spiced leg of lamb but was opened before the lamb was served. Lengthy finish. A favorite of mine at the picnic.

Some off-theme wines tasted:

2001 J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese (tasted young and fresh)

2006 Sol et Soleil Oregon Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley Cuvee

Howie Hart's homemade Steuben Rose' Blush peach to pale coral color. Tastes slightly sweet with strawberry to peach flavors. Very nice. A successful effort.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Some notes on some Syrah, Shiraz and off-theme wines

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:54 pm

JC (NC) wrote:2001 J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese (tasted young and fresh)...

Indeed. We had the GK Auslese a few weeks ago which was remarkably fresh and easy to drink. Although I still think it has better days ahead. But then what do I know.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:39 pm

Chiming in very late here because there's been so much going on at Gang Central lately, but I agree fully, it was yet another great MoCool, the food was brilliant and so was the lake! We even tried a few wines that we thought were pretty good! We were especially pleased to have Bree back & I'd be remiss in not thanking Bob H. for helping me out with some very well priced Ridge Lytton Springs. Did I mention that I loved the lake?

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: 8)
Nunquam Spuemus
Next