The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: vin in the Northeast Kingdom- Burg, Nahe, & Rueda

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: vin in the Northeast Kingdom- Burg, Nahe, & Rueda

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:14 am

Saturday we drove up to Craftsbury, VT. In a complicated plan of niece going from one VT camp to another, Betsy and her sister rented a lovely cabin for a week. I went up for 2 nights. First night we were alone, made some BBQ chicken, grilled local corn, salad, along with a lovely Black Prince tomato. I opened two wines (I should note that I debated whether to bring own glasses, but decided we were lugging enough (I was bringing back stuff from niece's first camp) and we'd go with the "full dinner service" I guess they don't have wine with dinner in Vermont, these were drunk from juice glasses)

2006 Donnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Spatlese
Limes, peach and cherry fruit. Sweet, good acidity, good length. Forward and easy to like, shows the opulence of the vintage but without being blowsy. Showed fine on night two.Very nice wine that can age, but why? B+

2005 Dominique Laurent Cotes de Nuits Villages VV
Juicy dark berry and cherry fruit, balanced acids, some slightly raspy tannins (it was better on day two). No noticable oak. Big for CdNV. B

A nice day with some gentle hiking, then night two we were joined by Betsy's sister and nephew, along with another mother who had also moved her daughter from wilderness camp to running camp. We had made dinner, a couple of people were pesce-vegetarians, so we did a pasta with pesto, grilled shrimp, corn, salad, and a couple Striped German tomatoes (our tomato ripening came finally). We used wines from previous night, plus the
2007 Ermita de Nieve Verdejo

Lighter styled, lemon and apples with a little herby note. Good on a warm evening, even if lacking a bit in depth and length. B-

Monday I drove back, worked for a couple of hours, headed home to see what was left in fridge/freezer. Too hot to cook inside, used microwave for a red/green cabbage mix, grill for some garlic chicken sausages, and had a half bottle of the 2006 Rossignol-Trapet Gevrey-Chambertin, Nice earthy midweight, lots of Gevrey earth, maybe a little shorter than ideal, but nice for level. Gets a little spicy note with time. Good value at $15/half, B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: vin in the Northeast Kingdom- Burg, Nahe, & Rueda

by Salil » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 am

'06 Kirschheck is a really lovely wine. Opulent as you said but still really well balanced and oh so fun to drink.

That Gevrey sounds really nice, where did you find halves at that price?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:36 am

Yes, the spatlese is fun.

The Gevrey came from Grapes in N White Plains (Daniel Posner). Unsure if still there (though he sent out an order yesterday for the same wine in 750 for $29).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:20 am

Sounds like some fun drinking for campsites. Nice to see that you won't be compromised!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:40 am

Rahsaan, some of my most memorable wine experiences come from my camping/birding/butterflying trips.
Always important to remember 2 cases of wine will hold the tent down when the winds come up.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:47 am

Mega-dittos ( :twisted: ) on the Kirschheck, though I have aged some & it does some wonderful things over time, while still preserving that sunny disposition that it has on release.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:20 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Always important to remember 2 cases of wine will hold the tent down when the winds come up.

Not a bad strategy. I'm not really a camping person although I still remember the post from Joe Perry about carrying all sorts of vintage port decanters through the Grand Canyon.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:32 pm

To be clear, we weren't actually camping. We were in a cabin with decent amenities. I have carried half bottles of wine up to some decent peaks in Rocky Mtn National Park in the past.

The only roughing it was the lack of AC- it was 90 outside when we arrived, and the drapes were open on 2 picture windows. Great view, but I estimate it was at least 105 in cabin. Luckily it cools at night, and we kept sun out after that. The NE Kingdom is not wilderness, just rural. There was a "country store" about 4 miles away- super expensive, but at least some "gourmet" food (dried mushrooms, good produce, meat). But no seafood. About 10 miles to nearest grocery. Yuck. Meat case was choice of Perdue pieces, Perdue whole, rump roasts, terrible looking steaks (nothing even marked choice),ground beef, ground turkey. Seafood choices- variety of fish sticks, lemon pepper tilapia, frozen cooked shrimp rings. Yet there were 4 freezer cases of tater tots and french fries. Ended up at store 20 miles away just to buy frozen shrimp.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Seafood choices- variety of fish sticks, lemon pepper tilapia, frozen cooked shrimp rings. Yet there were 4 freezer cases of tater tots and french fries. Ended up at store 20 miles away just to buy frozen shrimp.

That fits the definition of 'roughing it' in my book! :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:34 pm

True dedication is packing bottles of wine into the backcountry. The bruises on the shoulders are the mark of a true wine geek (been there, done that - Riesling into the Tonquin).
Decisions are made by those who show up