The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

At the 2009 New York Wine & Food Classic in the Finger Lakes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

At the 2009 New York Wine & Food Classic in the Finger Lakes

by Ed Draves » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Watkins Glen, New York, AUGUST 18—Anthony Road Wine Company 2008 Semi-Dry Riesling from the Finger Lakes won the coveted “Governor’s Cup” trophy at the 2009 New York Wine & Food Classic competition, held on August 17 & 18 at the Glen Harbor Hotel in Watkins Glen, NY. The “Winery of the Year” award went to Sheldrake Point Vineyards, another Finger Lakes winery.http://www.uncorkny.com/news/index.ashx#N3114 look under The Wine Press...Special Edition
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: At the 2009 New York Wine & Food Classic in the Finger Lakes

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:16 pm

That would certainly be an interesting wine to try. Do you know if they have any distribution outside New York?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:25 pm

We're getting over there in early October. Hope there's some left!
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 pm

David- Opici reps it here. Can they ship direct to you?
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:That would certainly be an interesting wine to try. Do you know if they have any distribution outside New York?

I don't know how often you get into NYC, but John Martini from the winery is at the Union Square Greenmarket every Saturday with a full compliment of Anthony Road wines. You can even have a taste out of a little plastic cup. I'm pretty skeptical of wine competitions and medals, but that is a pretty solid wine; I just commented on it recently at http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24984
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:13 pm

i was telling someone at MoCool they should visit Sheldrake; looks like i said the right thing. i like bob madill and his wines; and need to get in touch to congratulate him.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:25 am

David Creighton wrote:i was telling someone at MoCool they should visit Sheldrake; looks like i said the right thing. i like bob madill and his wines; and need to get in touch to congratulate him.

Sheldrake is a great choice with some fantastic wines and a top notch tasting room manager! The Finger Lakes, Chautauqua and Niagara have other wineries offering great experiences as well. Let me know next time you pop up this way.
Ed
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:33 am

After getting back from a weekend trip up to New Brunswick, we found that Dan Berger had almost devoted his entire newsletter of August 20 to New York wines. Apparently he was a judge at the classic.

He was very complimentary of the progress New York is making. He preferred three Rieslings to the Anthony Road and was highly impressed with it as well. The three were the 2005 Tierce Dry Riesling, the 2008 Lamoreax Landing Semi-Dry Riesling, and the 2008 Keuka Lake Semi-Dry Riesling. Of course Johannes Reinhardt of Anthony Road was one of the "Tierce."

His "Bargain of the Week" was the 2008 Knapp Pasta White (a Seval Blanc) at $10. He also mentioned that another threesome, Ravines, Red Newt, and Sheldrake Point were negotiating with a large California chain of stores with hopes to get their Rieslings to the Left Coast.