The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hangin' On Piedmont w/ Jared/D&G

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Hangin' On Piedmont w/ Jared/D&G

by TomHill » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Donkey&Goat Fall Release (8/21/09)
JerodBrandt was showing his Fall release at Brian's Wines On Piedmont shop (a very interesting/
well-selected wine shop on upper PiedmontAve in Oakland), so I hustled down from Napa to try them
before heading up Piedmont to Adesso for some salamis, having already ordered a case & half. I tried:
1. D&G FenaughtyVnyd/ElDorado Syrah 2007: Very dark color; strong blackberry/Syrah pungent/roasted/
smokey/Rhonish lovely nose; tart pungent/smokey some roasted/Rhonish very strong blackberry/Syrah
bit tannic flavor; very long pungent/smokey/Rhonish strong blackberry/Syrah tart structured slight
earthy finish w/ fair tannins; needs 2-6 yrs; maybe their best Fenaughty Syrah yet. $35.00
more restrained/elegant flavor; very long structured/tannic light floral/violets strong blueberry/
Syrah light peppery finish; needs 2-5 yrs; more elegant & balanced of these Syrahs. $35.00
w/ fair tannins; needs 2-6 yrs; a bit more restrained on the fruit; loads of spicy character. $35.00
very attractive 4-square Syrah at a great price. $20.00
tried it and found it not at all like I described. They felt that I'd happened upon a bad btl. Brian
had given Jerod a head's up that I might be in to try his wines. So what'd he do....he brought a btl
of Tamarindo along to replace my previous btl. Customer service way above & beyond.
one of the best expressions of those grapes around. And there are some spectacular Syrahs coming out
of ElDoradoCnty, but it just doesn't get the respect it deserves. ElDorado reds have a certain earthy/
mushroomy character to them that, when they get the fruit right, makes a wine rather Rhonish in style.
D&G Fenaughty, SteveEdmund's Wylie-Fenaughty are two such outstanding Syrahs. Some of the SierraVista
Syrahs, over the yrs, have been excellent. And, of course, the Cedarville's are always solid/well-
priced Syrahs.
blend '08 ($27). The Appellation Series Mendocino Syrah is a new wine for D&G, barrels that did not make
the single vnyd cut. And...they've changed the label. It is now a more restrained/serious label. I liked
the old frivolous one w/ the big Donkey & Goat in the upper corner better and as being more distinctive.
in the btl. These '07 Syrahs are another solid lineup from D&G. They will evolve as they age in the
btl. But I haven't a clue which one is going to be the best down the road. But I'll be taking data.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: WTN: Hangin' On Piedmont w/ Jared/D&G

by ChefJCarey » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:03 pm

Is that bowling alley still there on Piedmont? Albert's Frame Shop?
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Clueless...

by TomHill » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:18 am

ChefJCarey wrote:Is that bowling alley still there on Piedmont? Albert's Frame Shop?

Didn't notice a bowling alley. Don't recall Alberts.
PiedmontSt did not look very healthy..with a lot of shuttered shops.
Tom
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Clueless...

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:02 am

TomHill wrote:PiedmontSt did not look very healthy..with a lot of shuttered shops.
Tom

That's a shame. Sometimes it can be tough to keep these 'downtown' districts alive. Although these days suburban strip malls are also getting shuttered.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: Clueless...

by ChefJCarey » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:07 pm

TomHill wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:Is that bowling alley still there on Piedmont? Albert's Frame Shop?

Didn't notice a bowling alley. Don't recall Alberts.
PiedmontSt did not look very healthy..with a lot of shuttered shops.
Tom

I owned a joint within a couple of blocks of Piedmont during the 70s. It was a neat street. I liked it. You would have noticed if they were still there. They were both within a block of Bay Wolf. Is Mama's Royal Cafe still there on Broadway?
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT