The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Some '05 Burgundies and Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Some '05 Burgundies and Bordeaux

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Over the past few days I've enjoyed some very nice wines from the touted '05 viintage.
Jean Marc Brocard '05 Bourgogne "Kimmeridgien" is a classic white Burgundy and shows what these wines are all about. Beautiful earthiness underlaying fresh melon, citrus, and mangoes, bright acidity and all supported by lovely integrated oak. Sadly this is my only bottle, but I will look for more.
Faiveley '05 Bourgogne is another shinning example of the '05 drinking above their pedigree. @ $20 it is tempting to get a few more. A solid wine with dark cherries, fresh acidity and nice finish. I'm hooked! And will continue my efforts to pin-down red Burgundy (the whites, on the other hand, are a "piece of cake").
'05 Caronne St.-Gemme, Haut-Medoc proves that '05 was magical through-out France. This is still young, but has the stuffing to be pleasant (with a decant) for the next 5-10 years. I've done some studies about "conditioning" Bordeaux that I'll report on more later, but basically I've opened and decanted for a few hours several bottles of the '05 St.-Gemme, re-corked and opened at different intervals. This has worked well. More later.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Some '05 Burgundies and Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks for the notes. I have had all 3 of the wines you mention, and while I was not as impressed by the Faiveley (I do love their '05 Mercurey Framboisiere however), I very much enjoyed the Brocard & CSG.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:57 pm

Richard Fadeley wrote:Faiveley '05 Bourgogne is another shinning example of the '05 drinking above their pedigree. @ $20 it is tempting to get a few more..

Indeed. Tonight's 05 Drouhin Chorey les Beaune offers similar pleasure and is raring to go. Which from a recent sample of 1 makes me think these 'little' wines of the vintage may not need all the aging of the bigger wines. But I could easily be mistaken. Still, I'll look for some more myself.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:37 am

I've enjoyed that Brocard white Burgundy in other vintages. Glad to hear that 2005 is worth seeking.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:49 am

I haven't had the Brocard Kimmeridgien recently, but it's long been a fine bargain in 'almost Chablis" Pretty sure used to be no oak, but that may have changed.
I haven't tried any of my 05 Caronne Ste Gemme, thanks for excellent notes
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:42 pm

Pretty sure used to be no oak, but that may have changed.

Apparently you're right about this, but it sure tasted, smelled, and looked like a deft touch of oak. A bright golden color, and mellow, earthiness belied a little oak, sort of like what you sometimes get in the Macon. It was very nice and it is interesting that he would use "Bourgogne AOC" rather than Petit Chablis. That also made me presume a little oak. Let me know when you completely understand the winemakers of Burgundy.
Also, the Faiveley was a little recalcitrant on day 2 and required a little more time in the glass to be pleasant. As some have said, the '05's may not be ready quite yet, but I have been decanting Bourgognes for an hour or so, with great success.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:17 am

Richard Fadeley wrote:[it sure tasted, smelled, and looked like a deft touch of oak.

Hey, that's nothing, I (at least) once wrote that a wine showed too much oak, and then was reliably informed it used 0% new oak. Tasting is inexact! :)

What is fun is to taste the Jurassique & Kimmeridgien Bourgognes side by side- there are similarities and distinct differnces (I think there's a 3rd one too, but never tried).
At one point these were available in 3LBiB, but haven't seen in awhile