The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brokenwood Hunter Valley Shiraz 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Brokenwood Hunter Valley Shiraz 2005

by Saina » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:41 am

I recently shared an Ozzie Shiraz that I think I actually like!

Brokenwood Hunter Valley Shiraz 2005 14% abv; 30€ in the special order selection

This is a "baby-Graveyard" but from younger vines than are destined for the flagship. What differentiates this Shiraz from most of what I have tasted above is that it isn't overtly sweet or full of dried fruit character. Rather, it seems like Syrah in a lovely, savoury style - salty even -, with lots of meat and olive scents.

Seemingly unspoofulated structure though Victor de la Serna seemed to think that HVs are generally acidified. But whether it is acidified or whether the deliciously high acidity is natural, it tastes perfect with all the other parameters in the wine. Long finish without any of the jamminess that mars so many Aussies to me, but instead is crisp and dry. If it weren't for the youthful oak, I would say this is elegant! Yet the oak doesn't obfuscate what seems to me to be pure Syrah aromatics, so I guess it will turn out fine with a bit of age.

This is by no means Northern Rhone Syrah, but it is one of the few Aussie Shiraz I have seen here that is obviously made from the same grape!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: Brokenwood Hunter Valley Shiraz 2005

by David Lole » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:17 am

Hi Otto,

I've just purchased a bottle of the 2005 Brokenwood Graveyard Shiraz. I'll bury it in the cellar and save it for when you're next in the area. :wink: Thanks for the TN.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 am

Mmm is about all I can think/say after that note.

I love Brokenwood Shiraz - just find some more, hold onto them a decade or so and they should be amazing.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:04 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Mmm is about all I can think/say after that note.

I love Brokenwood Shiraz - just find some more, hold onto them a decade or so and they should be amazing.

Another winery we used to see around here. I have fond memories of the Semillon!
Happy that Otto has found a red he can enjoy.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:10 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I recently shared an Ozzie Shiraz that I think I actually like!

Brokenwood Hunter Valley Shiraz 2005 14% abv; 30€ in the special order selection

This is a "baby-Graveyard" but from younger vines than are destined for the flagship. What differentiates this Shiraz from most of what I have tasted above is that it isn't overtly sweet or full of dried fruit character. Rather, it seems like Syrah in a lovely, savoury style - salty even -, with lots of meat and olive scents.

Seemingly unspoofulated structure though Victor de la Serna seemed to think that HVs are generally acidified. But whether it is acidified or whether the deliciously high acidity is natural, it tastes perfect with all the other parameters in the wine. Long finish without any of the jamminess that mars so many Aussies to me, but instead is crisp and dry. If it weren't for the youthful oak, I would say this is elegant! Yet the oak doesn't obfuscate what seems to me to be pure Syrah aromatics, so I guess it will turn out fine with a bit of age.

This is by no means Northern Rhone Syrah, but it is one of the few Aussie Shiraz I have seen here that is obviously made from the same grape!

Otto,

I am much like you where OZ shiraz is concerned. However, one of my favorite syrah wines is the Ch. Tahbilk 1860 vines. This designation is due to the year the vines were planted, and it shows in the wine. Where so many OZ shiraz are big jammy slap you down, the 1860 is a reserved, feminine type wine with nuance buried behind nuance. I took a 94 to Mo'Cool and had it at our table at dinner. There is a menu of the food located here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26193 And, look for a post by Califusa.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:02 am

Bob, guess some knew which table to sit at!! Did you take any Marsanne?
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:37 am

David Lole wrote:Hi Otto,

I've just purchased a bottle of the 2005 Brokenwood Graveyard Shiraz. I'll bury it in the cellar and save it for when you're next in the area. :wink: Thanks for the TN.

David

I really have fallen in love with the Graveyard shiraz. A friend of mine has brought a couple along to different lunches recently including a 94 and 98. As my wee boy was born in 05, in addition to everything else, I felt I was duty bound to put down half a case for "him" to drink one day.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:01 pm

David, must make it to Aus some day then! ;) I recently tasted and posted on the '04 Graveyard which I thought was very nice.

BobH, you've mentioned the Tahbilk to me years ago in chat and I've been hoping to see it ever since. I have found out that some brings (or brought) it to Finland but I haven't seen it in Alko or in any restaurant lists so I wonder where it all ended up? Well, I hope to bump into it sometime.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:David, must make it to Aus some day then! ;) I recently tasted and posted on the '04 Graveyard which I thought was very nice.

BobH, you've mentioned the Tahbilk to me years ago in chat and I've been hoping to see it ever since. I have found out that some brings (or brought) it to Finland but I haven't seen it in Alko or in any restaurant lists so I wonder where it all ended up? Well, I hope to bump into it sometime.

Otto, the 1860 vine shiraz here (when it can be found) sells north of the $100 mark, and in many cases well north of it. In OZ I think it is north of the AU$200. It is a fine wine, but has almost risen out of my ability to purchase. By that I mean it would have to be a very special occasion for me to buy one.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:03 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:What differentiates this Shiraz from most of what I have tasted above is that it isn't overtly sweet or full of dried fruit character. Rather, it seems like Syrah in a lovely, savoury style - salty even -, with lots of meat and olive scents.

Great to hear, I must try it. Thanks for the note, Otto.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:02 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Bob, guess some knew which table to sit at!! Did you take any Marsanne?

Believe it or not Bob, but I took a 1998 and a 2002 marsanne, and didn't get either opened. I wound up gifting Howie Hart with the 98, and brought the 02 home. I am glad though that I didn't open the 02 at Mo'Cool, because it was slightly corked. :-(
Bob Henrick