The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: strange matches- ragu/rose, Muscadet/bird, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: strange matches- ragu/rose, Muscadet/bird, etc

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:13 pm

So heat finally broke, Betsy was in the mood for Bolognese. We were eating outside, I wanted something to serve cool, so went pink, with the 2008 Cantalupo "Il Mimo" rosado (I confess to never even thinking of rose with meat sauce before, but it went ok with the pasta and a yellow beet salad). Deep beautiful color. Red cherries and strawberry, a distinct tangy citrus note, a pleasantly bitter herb edge. Even some light tannins along with good acidity. Fine rose. B+

Tuesday dinner was a really delicious scrod with a ginger garlic sauce, Japanese eggplant with a peanut sauce, green beans and rice. Wine was the 2002 Colin-Deleger et Fils " La Maltroie" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er, C-D has lots of PremOx reports, so I was wary, but this actually showed like a sound 7 year old. But not a great 7 year old. Oak is mostly integrated, just a bit of vanillan and hint of toast, but the pear fruit is a tad subdued, and the finish too short for a good 1er cru vineyard. Moderate acidity, ok but a bit blah. Would be ok as a Bourgogne AC B-/C+

Last night we did a citrus marinated fresh farm chicken under brick (well, skillet) on grill, with chard, salad, and carrots. Wine was the 2002 Luneau-Papin "Clos des Noelles Excelsior" Muscadet. Muscadet isn't my first thought with chicken, but this isn't your typical Muscadet, and besides I felt like drinking it. Big and rich, yet with a good seashell/saline edge that makes you realize it's of its place. Lemon and green apples, but the fruit (rich though it is) takes backseat to the minerality that's driving. Needs time A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: strange matches- ragu/rose, Muscadet/bird, etc

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Is that Cantalupo something easy to find? I have a co-worker who has gone bonkers for rosé, and is poking me for recommendations almost daily.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:25 am

Dale, I posted on a `02 Luneau-Papin Excelsior about 6 weeks ago. It was a present from Nicos when I was in London, sadly corked!
My first experience of L-P, not my last. You are a lucky fellow!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:10 am

David,
unsure how widely available it is outside NYC area, but it is generally quite available here. Zachys sold out very early, I got these from Chambers. Over the last 6 vintages I've gotten at CSW, Zachys, Astor, Winelibrary, PJs. Some people don't like every vintage, but I find the vintage variation nice - some years a little softer/fuller, but also a distinct Nebbiolo character.

Bob,
too bad about your bottle, serious Muscadet. Hopefully you'll have another opportunity soon