The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Visit w/ Pax/WindGap

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: A Visit w/ Pax/WindGap

by TomHill » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:22 pm

A Visit w/ PaxMahle/WindGap (8/19/09)
Susan & I went an hour before our Inaugural NAP get-together to try Pax's current WindGap releases.
I've followed Pax from the very start, back when he was a home winemaker, and he wanted me to try his
Syrah he was making before he went commercial. I was favorably impressed. He then went on to start
his eponoymous PaxWnry. He left that venture several yrs ago and started up his new wnry, WindGapWnry.
It is located in the heart of metropolitan Forestville, one block off the main drag. It is located in
the former TaftStreet wnry bldg. The bldg was built long/long ago as an apple processing facility and
still has a lot of that decrepit equipment around. It had been abandoned by TaftStreet some time ago
and was in pretty bad disrepair. Pax has put a lot of effort in refurbishing the facility. Still
a bit threadbare around the edges, he was about to complete his white wine production part of the wnry.
What interested me most was the large concrete fermentors he had in there. They were imported from
France, looked liked big oblate eggs, standing on concrete legs, w/ SS fittings. It strongly resembled
FatMan w/ the fins on the wrong end. Were it air-dropped from a B-29, it would make quite a splat and
shake the ground...though maybe not the requisite 16 kT. Pax was in the middle of hand-bottling magnums
of the three wines that the mobile btlg line was going to deal with the next morning. As Susan set off
for a jaunt down the RailsToTrails hiking path right behind the wnry, I tasted myself thru the current
WindGap offerings:
1. WindGap SonomaCnty (50% from PetalumaGap) Chard 2007: Pale gold color; strong appley/melony/pure
Chard fruit clean light oak lovely nose; tart crisp/clean appley/melony/Chard some minerally flavor;
very long minerally clean/Chard/fruit/melony/appley light oak finish; a lovely balanced clean minerally
Chard.
toasty/oakfinish; packed w/ flavor yet showing a certain restraint.
spicy finish; great balance & structure; plenty of acidity but a richness and texture on the palate;
one of the best Calif PinotGris I've had; not particularly Alsatian in style, though.
flavor; very long/lingering complex cracked pepper/roasted/coffee strong blackberry/Syrah slight herbal/
dusty finish w/ some tannins; needs several yrs; loads of roasted/Rhonish/cold-climate Syrah character;
a terrific Syrah.
long tart strong boysenberry/strawberry/Grenache light toasty/oak finish w/ some tannins; very structured
for Paso red blend and needs several yrs of age.
wines. With their anemic alcohol levels; they will not go over big with the "gobs of hedonistic fruit"
crowd...will not go over big w/ Monktown attourneys. It's off to the woodshed for Pax I suspect.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A Visit w/ Pax/WindGap

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:08 pm

TomHill wrote:they will not go over big with the "gobs of hedonistic fruit"
crowd...will not go over big w/ Monktown attourneys. It's off to the woodshed for Pax I suspect.

Probably do not have long to wait. I am betting that things turn out more positive for Pax.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:19 pm

TomHill wrote:1. A was quite struck by these wines of Pax's. They showed a restraint that you don't often see in Calif.
Yet they were packed w/ flavor and had a purity of fruit; they are not at all thin & vapid kind of
wines. With their anemic alcohol levels; they will not go over big with the "gobs of hedonistic fruit"

Thanks for the notes Tom. Good to see some more positive writeups re. Wind Gap, I've heard some very positive things about the wines (and the alcohol levels certainly sound pleasant!)
I'm sure they won't go over big with the pointy/hedonistic crowd, but there are a number of people interested in lighter styled Californian wines with less alcohol that I'm sure these would appeal to based off your notes. Although as far as the Monkton attorneys go - I thought I saw some pretty positive scores at least for the white wines from RMP.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:33 pm

I didn't realize the reviews were already out (I don't read RP's California section much anymore), but Salil is right, the results were pretty good. All 90+ except the '06 Syrah which got an 88 but a very positive note.
Decisions are made by those who show up