The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TNs in which my daughters clean out King Fung of Peking Duck

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

TNs in which my daughters clean out King Fung of Peking Duck

by Michael Malinoski » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:02 pm

Once upon a time, I brought some Peking Duck leftovers home after an offline tasting at King Fung Garden. The next day, I was shocked to see my 4 year old daughters chowing down on said leftovers and screaming for “more duck!”. So, a few months later when their birthday comes along and their mother asks them what they want for their special dinner, they reply seemingly out of nowhere “King Duck”—which is now what we all call Peking Duck from King Fung. So, we dutifully make a reservation and with 3 grandparents, 2 parents and an uncle in tow, we occupy the one big table for 8 right in front. We worry quite a bit when they bring out the 3 ducks with the heads still on and all, but that does not phase these lordly duck eaters at all. And indeed, the two of them eat more than anybody else at the table, but at least the rest of us got to drink some wine!

N.V. Louis Roederer Champagne Brut Premier. Aromas of bread dough, toast points, chalk, citrus rind, apple and darker tree fruits are quite fresh and lively here. On the palate, it has a dark toasty edge throughout, and a fine yeasty middle that frames the core flavors of pear, apple, lemon and darker fruit accents. It maintains a soft mousse in the mouth, but remains tangy and driven all the way through to the clean finish.

2003 Emrich-Schönleber Riesling Monzinger Frühlingsplätzchen Kabinett Nahe. This wine is a bright yellow color with greenish tinting and it possesses aromas of kerosene, candied peach, blue slate, nectarine fuzz, lanolin and something akin to lemongrass. It is softly-framed in the mouth, without a lot of acidic cut, but also without an over-abundance of sweetness. It has some bass note density but also airy top notes of lemon oil, white peach, nectarine and lemongrass. The finish is open and easy, but again it holds the line in being not too sweet. As a package, it actually works quite well with the sweet plum sauce and scallions that come with the Peking Duck first course.

2005 Varner Pinot Noir Spring Ridge Vineyard Hidden Block Santa Cruz Mountains. This is a very light, smoky garnet colored Pinot that does gain a bit of color in the glass, yet remains quite light overall. It has an interestingly earthy but ethereal bouquet of sassafras, brown grape stems, wintergreen, light molasses, cola nut, vanilla dust, brown spices and dried leaves. There is a lot going on, but not a whole lot of fruit in the mix. In the mouth, it is on the light-bodied end of the spectrum, and features an absolutely intense bite of spices and bright acids. Over time, though, it begins to flesh out and the flavors actually grow quite forceful despite the lighter mouth-feel. It gives a big welcoming burst of tart cranberry, cherry and caramel apple flavors that have surprising intensity and persistence. A prickle of heat comes on the finish, but blends in with the spicy, tangy and downright savory notes that also play big roles there. It is an unusual wine that had me alternately disliking the thinner, more austere elements and really liking the persistent burst of flavor it manages on such an airy frame. Either way, the savory elements worked really well with the second and third courses of the Peking Duck.

1992 Sichel Riesling Kirchheimer Kreuz Beerenauslese Rheinpfalz. Served from 375 ml. I’ve had this wine three times before and this was the best showing it has given. It is caramel-colored and offers up aromas of spun sugar, sweet caramel coating, kumquat, fig paste and yellow raisins. In the mouth, it has some burnt caramel character to go along with flavors of musky mango and other sweet yellow fruits. Although not terribly unctuous, it is decidedly sweet with sugary caramel, fig and raisin flavors persisting through the moderate finish. It is nothing too special, but it was a nice little after-dinner sipper with fortune cookies.

-Michael
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TNs in which my daughters clean out King Fung of Peking Duck

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Did you get any of the noodles, or did you just do duck?

I can see where a 2003 Riesling might work very well with the un-spicy sweetness of King Fung's duck (with the sauce).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:29 pm

The place in Chinatown was sold and is now called the "New King Fung Garden" and their noodles are done differently, though I have to say really well done with amazingly crisp snow peas. We liked them a lot. I think the King Fung Garden II, which is still owned by the original family, does the first course of the duck better, though. However, they were all in China for the month, so we opted for the old location (which is called the "new" place, but is the "old" place to me, just with "new" owners, if you follow me).
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Excellent! You're raising the kids right.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:07 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Excellent! You're raising the kids right.

Years ago used to have Peking duck every other week! Restaurant did not have a license so our BYOB of `85 Lytton Springs Zin was served from a tea-pot.
The owner used to laugh when we showed up......" you guys bringing more wine?". Those were the days.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:26 am

A few years ago, the owner of a local Chinese restaurant was arrested for poaching mallards from a local creek. :shock:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:04 am

Howie Hart wrote:A few years ago, the owner of a local Chinese restaurant was arrested for poaching mallards from a local creek. :shock:

The resulting fines (probable) must have really cut into his profit margin.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:14 am

You are in SOOOOO much trouble. Wait until they find out about the wine! (Let me echo the sentiment about the proper raising of daughters. I speak from many years of experience.) :D
Congratulations on the birthday.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.