The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two from LVMH

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 am

WTN: Two from LVMH

by Chris Kissack » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:48 am

A couple of tasting notes from a dinner I attended just before my little sojourn in Limoux earlier this year. Hosted by LVMH after a Krug tasting we kicked off with NV Krug, followed by these two wines from the LVMH portfolio. I enjoyed the Cloudy Bay, for what it was, the freshness of the acidity and fruit the saving graces against a backdrop of a rather obvious layer of oak. The Terrazas? Less convincing I thought. This was - in case it isn't clear - a dinner courtesy of LVMH, so I didn't pay for these wines.

Cloudy Bay Chardonnay (Marlborough) 2006: Fresh, smoky oak, fat and tropical fruit on the nose; the fruit is defined and appealing, though, despite that suggestion of fat richness. Indeed it is fresh and nicely textured on the palate, with lots of smoky substance; the barrels are still in evidence here. Good firm acidity though, giving a fine frame for the oaky fruit. A good wine which opened out nicely in the glass, and which is certainly still on the way up. 16.5+/20

Terrazas Malbec (Mendoza) 2006: A darkly coloured wine, which starts off seemingly very sweet and concentrated on the nose, showing firm and dark fruit, although it then turns a little fuzzy, with a slightly confected edge to it. Full and sweet but still very fresh on the palate, a good savoury substance and a leaner structure than I expected. The fruit profile is appealing, less dark than the nose, all strawberry and redcurrant, with a sappy finish. This has a nice approachable style, but lacks great definition or any real sincerity. Nice drinking though. 15.5/20
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two from LVMH

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:29 am

I did not know that LVMH had bought up Cloudy Bay. Do they now make an accompanying hand bag? :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:49 am

Chris, when I had it the 06 Cloudy Bay seemed a bit extra ripe to me, which made the oak seem more prominent if not in fact overdone. The 07 was better, but really stellar and back on form, I thought, is the 08. It won't leave you talking about the oak, anyway. But lucky you--free Krug! I can only dream.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

by Chris Kissack » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:56 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I did not know that LVMH had bought up Cloudy Bay. Do they now make an accompanying hand bag? :wink:

If they did it would probably sell well here in the UK - Cloudy Bay Sauvignon has cult status here, largely based on restricted volumes and high prices giving a feel of exclusivity. It is a name even non-geeks seem to latch onto, so sometimes it seems more like an upper-class brand rather than a wine. It is surely ripe for brand expansion into handbags, coats, headscarves, you name it! :D
no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

by Chris Kissack » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Jenise wrote:Chris, when I had it the 06 Cloudy Bay seemed a bit extra ripe to me, which made the oak seem more prominent if not in fact overdone. The 07 was better, but really stellar and back on form, I thought, is the 08. It won't leave you talking about the oak, anyway. But lucky you--free Krug! I can only dream.

Interesting - I was taken by its apparently restrained fruit rather than over-ripeness, but this may be a question of context. I just don't drink New World Chardonnay these days (and I don't drink much Old World stuff either!) so I was comparing it to the super-fat honey-and-tropical-fruit Chardonnays I remember drinking more than a few years ago. Compared to those this seemed to have more restrained ripeness, so its interesting to hear that compared to other recent vintages it has more ripeness. You are right on the oak though - a wine for oak-lovers only, hopefully indicated by the fact I mention it three times in one tasting note. I suspect it is a wine that will have many fans, but it isn't one for me.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:01 pm

They need to buy Musar then they are in business, especially in the UK!!!!

So many Malbecs here, might have a looksie at the one Chris mentions. Compare with Kaiken which might be same price range?

OK, could only find this......terrazas de los andes reserva malbec.