The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Vins de Crete Thrapsathiri

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WTN: 2006 Vins de Crete Thrapsathiri

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:15 am

Made from the Thrapsathiri grape and grown on slopes in the municipality of Palianis, Crete in Heralkion.
A very bright, happy lemon color.
Initial nose of wet stone, nuts and light citrus gives way in a short time to lush notes of pineapple and apricots.
Medium-full bodied, it coats the mouth and leaves a lingering after-taste of apple. Somewhat flabby mid-palate, but the lingering richness somehow makes up for it.

The notes on the bottle read: Produced with the method of pro-kneading infusion (in cold) fermentation in stainless under controlled temperature. The wines pass for 4 months in oak barrels. White-yellow wine with perfumes of fruits, different kinds of nuts, flowers, balanced with a rich aftertaste.

I don't know what pro-kneading infusion is...anyone that can help out with that one?

Anyway, summing up...I usually like my whites a tad bit more acidic than this, but I DO like this wine very much. Would buy again.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Re: WTN: 2006 Vins de Crete Thrapsathiri

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:21 am

A little research shows that this is a clone of the Athiri grape: Another likely component of Malvasia, Athiri is planted and vinified widely, not only on the Aegean Islands, but in places on the surrounding mainland as far north as Halkidikí and as far west as Lakonía in Peloponessos. Although impossible to prove, there is a general consensus among historians and writers this is the same grape known as Theriaki in Ancient times. Vinifying to round, rich wines of considerable alcohol but little acidity, this grape, with its amiable fruit, augments the fruit of the strong, but somewhat thin, Asyrtiko without significantly lowering its overall alcohol. Traditionally it was employed mainly as a component in varietal blends, the exception being on Rhodes, where a fortuitous combination of geography and microclimate produced character and quality deserving of mono-varietal versions. On Rhodes it is also vinified in Greece's only methode champenoise sparkling wine. Increasingly, however, other mono-varietal production is gaining in popularity. Tsantalis now produces a stainless steel fermented Athiri in which brief skin contact helps produce a clean, fruity and aromatic wine likely to find favor in the U.S.

(http://www.greekwinemakers.com)
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:28 pm

Good, this was just what I was anticipating when you said you were in Crete. Keep `em coming, opening a Greece folder now.
Kyrstyn, if you can find a couple of reds you like, we could well do an Open Mike. I have a few here I am interested in trying. Hows that?
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:34 pm

Bob, that's just what I need to get re-focused. I've been really negligent about giving much thought to what I've been drinking lately, let alone taking notes. I've had some reds here that I really like (primarly Agiortiko) and I'd love to participate. Will make a real effort to check in and stay up to date!!

Meanwhile...I cooked up some chicken and shaved carrots in a curry/ginger cream sauce for this, and it was a very nice match :)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:44 pm

KK, did you get the word about an offline in DC on Sunday evening Sept. 6 (Labor Day weekend)?
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi, JC...I did get the word, and sent James a PM to let him know that I'd love to participate if I was there. However, I am currently on "sabbatical" in Crete, and will not be returning to the States until June of 2010! I hope you all have fun and I'm looking forward to reading about it:-)