The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Not the most exciting wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Not the most exciting wines

by Keith M » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:56 pm

2004 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Riesling Kabinett (Middle Mosel, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany) cork closure, 8.5% - imported to USA by Boston Wine Company, Somerville, Massachusetts - this wine was pretty vile, smelled nice of earth and citrus, but the taste was really jumbled tropical hawaiian punch with discombobulated acid, thick unfocused texture, and a complete lack of focus. What a mess

2008 Loosen Bros Mosel Riesling Dr. L (Mosel, Germany) screwcap closure, 8.5% - imported by Classic Wine Imports, Norwood, Massachusetts - smell expressive lime and stone, very obvious nose, taste huge spritz, lemon-limeade, tangy, zip feels a bit forced, but let's be honest, it's in the 90s and the wine is refreshing, there isn't much structure or anything like that, but it's refreshing and I'd drink it again for that purpose

2007 Villa Matilde Campania Falanghina Rocca dei Leoni (Campania IGT, southern Italy) synthetic stopper, 12.5% - imported to USA by Empson, Alexandria, Virginia - fairly refreshing with good focus, solid fruit but dry side, solid flavor, pairs very well with fish and with food in general, nothing profound, but solid bottle of good summer wine

N.V. Gruet Brut Rosé (New Mexico, southwestern USA) mushroom cork - appears salmon, smell floral, sweet and salty, slight chalk, mouthfeel big loose bubbles, very loose feel, taste hotter side, overly powerful, feels completely overblown and lacks any refreshing qualities, pairs poorly with food, did not care for this wine at all, does not justify its $15 pricetag
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: WTN: Not the most exciting wines

by Ryan M » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:06 pm

Try the Gruet Blanc de Noirs - definitely worth the price.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:36 am

Kerpen is such an up and down producer that I never buy in quantity without tasting first. I also do not find that the wines age as well as some of their Mosel counterparts, so I drink them up generally much younger.

As for Gruet, I get the chance to taste the range every year at an event I go to, but despite that I have never found any of them worth buying.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:13 am

Don't generally care for the rose, but like Ryan I think the BdN from Gruet is generally an excellent value for my tastes