The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Austrian Pinot Noir (Vienna and Kamptal)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Austrian Pinot Noir (Vienna and Kamptal)

by Saina » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Full disclosure: all of these were imported by the company I work part time for. All sold out now.

*Wieninger Rosé de Pinot 2007 12,5% abv; c.12€

A very light salmon pink due to a process that they use, reminiscent of that used for pink Champagne, that is very gentle on the grapes. The result is a mineral, light rosé, full of Pinosity and great fun. Though light and more like a white than a red or traditional rosé in body, it is intense and racy and mineral. I liked this very much. I can't wait to try the 2008!

*Wieninger Pinot Noir Select 2004 13% abv; c.20€

Smells like hot chocolate and completely manages to hide any Pinosity that might be there. I find it amazing that the same wine maker that makes one of the best rosés that I have had and one that is so full of Pinosity also manages to make this red that seems like a bad caricature of the OTT Californian Pinot except lacking the harsh alcohol!

*Fred Loimer Langenlois Dechant Pinot Noir 2006 13,5% abv; c.30€

This has the reputation of being one of the best Austrian Pinot Noirs. Cynic that I am, all to often when I hear the "best" of some area not well known for growing the grape, the picture I get in my mind is that of an over-oaked, spoof-monster. This PN from Kamptal wasn't that bad. It actually did have lovely Pinosity, beetrooty fruit and even some earthy scents to provide some savoury counterpoint to the fruit-forward Pinosity. Medium-full body, a bit on the soft side and thus betraying its origins from a hot year. So with all this goodness, I have to wonder why a layer of oak that smells like hot-chocolate was deemed appropriate to add onto it? I can very well understand that this wine has its fans (lovely, lovely Pinosity). But for those of us who fail to see why obvious oak should be a positive thing: don't bother.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

Re: WTN: Austrian Pinot Noir (Vienna and Kamptal)

by Dave Erickson » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:58 am

Anton Bauer makes a very respectable pinot noir from vines growing in the Donauland/Wagram. A bit denser than a Burgundy, but still Burgundian in style, with nice fruit, herbal character, and acidity. Under $20. Leo Hillinger makes one that is more in the "international" style--lotsa oak and sweet cherry fruit, around the same price.